Playing Go in Movies and TV-Shows (pictures)

Now I need to rewatch that. I’ve been meaning to anyway now that I’ve listened to/watched the musical a bunch of times, but now I really need to.

Tomb of the sea ep. 35, a Chinese drama

10 Likes

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (from ova)

The SoulTaker: Tamashii-gari (from special parody)

10 Likes

Code Geass: season 1 episode 10

7 Likes

Early Summer (1951)

Director: Yasujiro Ozu
Cast: Chikage Awajima, Setsuko Hara

Yasujiro Ozu’s typical family drama. A story of romance, arranged marriages and family life in post-war Tokyo.

The Go scene at 48:25 has the head of the household, a doctor, playing Go with a friend, talking, smoking and drinking, on a Sunday in, of course, early summer. The actors seated with the goban on a table and a close up of the player with his back to the camera shows he holds the white stones properly whereas the other does not. At one point they discuss if a stone has moved and the doctor says he has left his house as it is full of children (playing with an electric train set).

https://www.britgo.org/filmography/orient

10 Likes

New documentary about AI

Go is present, as anyone can assume

In the Age of AI

3 Likes

Baaaaaa

2 Likes

But I did want to watch Knives Out, @Nghtstalker, if only for the Go. It’s just that there was only that fancy mall around and I’m not keen on the place.

Baaa referred to the photos from Reply 1988…

if you watch the series you will get it… : )

I was looking at that post when I posted Baaaa. But it must have been somewhere else on the page ooops sorry.

2 Likes
No, actually, I mistook you for someone completely different. I was really sleepy (and grew up thinking of baaah as mééé). 😋
1 Like

fang yuan (the main character of this manhua) is often shown playing go as a metaphor for the mental conflict between him and other characters. Source: Reverend insanity (Novel) Gu master (manga)

I highly suggest the novel!

9 Likes

Russian (not very good) detective TV show. Episode with go premiered yesterday. It seems go is only in the beginning, and for the best. While federation consultants can set up a realistic position and show what to play, you can’t teach actors place stones naturally :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Kdrama “Vagabond”.

The President of Korea and his Prime Minister are about to do bad things and warm up with a game of Go.

6 Likes

New Justice Bao: The Blood Reward (Chinese movie)

10 Likes

Rikugun (1944)

6 Likes

UFO Princess Valkyrie
ufo

8 Likes

(For Science!)

The dark side of Go,
of course it exists for Go too

Warning: Do Not Open if you are 18-

technically nothing here

also I know site with 10 000 anime etchi+ pictures about Go, but I will not give link to anyone, sorry

By the way, my personal opinion: its ridiculous that many people think that watching death by eating stones in “The Divine Move” movie is more OK than watching material above.

there are countries that arrest for less

5 Likes

Secret door, kdrama:
Adviser arrives as King is studying baduk and they have a heated discussion over a conspiracy.

4 Likes

I think part of the reason could be that, as a society, it’s not really a problem if someone has unrealistic expectations/ misleading information about how to murder someone. I mean, it wouldn’t be much of an issue.

Disclaimer: this is a joke, don’t murder people, it’s wrong.

1. So you expect anyone to complain with this?
  2. Since you draw big black rectangles over the whole pictures, why put the disclaimer in such an ominous way?