Playing Go in Movies and TV-Shows (pictures)

FWIW, that’s not the kind of content I expect to come across here, and covered or not, I appreciated the spoiler cover :slight_smile:

There might not have been anything “wrong” with leaving it open, but I appreciate that he thought of others.

6 Likes

Andromeda, Season 1, ep. 5
They simply call it ‘Go’ in the dialogue, irrespective of the modifications to our present format.

11 Likes

Is it a good movie?

R there English subtitles available?

It wasn’t life-changing, but I enjoyed it. Yes, they are available.

I can’t officially recommend the site I watched it, though…

lol… U cant recommend it eh?? Perhaps this was not quite a proper download.

I can officially say I did not download it.

(I streamed it).

2 Likes

Well, AFAIK, to be completely correct, streaming means it has to be downloaded in parts so that it can be buffered for continuous watching without pauses when internet connection fluctuates :sunglasses:

2 Likes

One of the best tv shows of all time, i completely forgot about this scene

1 Like

Good to know exactly how that thing that I’m definitely not doing works. :slight_smile:
(I didn’t know it counted as downloading, I always like learning things)

1 Like

Hunter x Hunter episode 102

7 Likes

Go lovers beware, this is an awesome anime but they don’t hold the game of Go in very high regard :wink:

5 Likes

School Rumble S01E17

XXXHolic

(goban demon)

8 Likes

I haven’t checked the whole thread, so I don’t know if it’s already been posted, but I’ve just started watching Godzilla. In the first scene a military ship is attacked by the monster (well I’ve only watched that scene so officially I don’t know, it’s supposed to be mysterious, but come on, it’s the monster). Anyway, the soldiers are chilling, some of them are playing their instruments and some are playing Go. When the ship is attacked the goban falls on the deck, in this shot you can see the stones. I should probably get a life, I feel so proud for this.

18 Likes

Someone might flag this as off-topic because it’s actually ‘Go in a music clip’ but that clip was on a TV-Show so :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t get excited though. You will need to be fast with the pause button to even see it.

6 Likes

During the lockdown my wife discovered k-dramas. :slight_smile:

She showed me these scenes:

• The snow queen (Nun-ui yeo-wang) 2006

The young man accidentally hits the goban and throws all the stones on the floor. Then he picks them up and places them again in the right positions, astonishing the older man.

• My name is Kim Sam-Soon

Nae ireum-eun Kim Sam-soon (MBC, 2005)

Just a comment about a mother planning his son’s wedding.

• Itaewon Class

Owner of a food company plays baduk with his sons and compares their strategies in real life and on the board.

10 Likes

Ooooh a fellow kdrama fan! :heart_eyes: I can offer her recommendations.

1 Like

Devs (2020)

TV Mini-Series about computer simulation of real world

11 Likes

Samuel Reshevsky, in his New York Times chess column, probably back in the 1960s or even the 1950s, compiled a number of answers to this question. I remember only three of them:

Frank Marshall answered, “Two,” and the amazed reporter said, “Only two?!” Marshall responded, “Yes, but two good moves!”

Emanuel Lasker answered, “One more than my opponent.”

And Capablanca answered the question seriously: “25 moves.”

13 Likes

Ok, technically this isn’t TV show/ movie, but it was unexpected

8 Likes

Destroy? Leave??
Pick them up!!! :smile:

3 Likes