[poll] Should the new AI score estimator be disabled while a game is in progress?

With the recent update our Score Estimator’s ability to provide feedback has been greatly improved as we now use our AI cluster for the estimation. See: AI based score estimation and auto-scoring is now live for more conversation on it.

Because of this, I wanted to ask the community how they felt about having it enabled during games.

Should the AI based score estimator be enabled disabled while a game is in progress?
  • It should be enabled for all games
  • It should be disabled for players but enabled for spectators
  • It should be disabled for players and spectators
  • It should only be disabled for live games, but enabled for correspondence games
  • Only the score should be visible with the estimation when the game is in progress
  • It should be an option when creating a game, but default it to disabled.

0 voters

7 Likes

I think there could be a distinction made between ranked and unranked games.
And I’d be slightly concerned that is too easy for a player to become a spectator and access it anyway!

Edit - I selected it should be disabled for players but not spectators. But I think I could also be happy with only the score should be displayed for in progress games.

5 Likes

1 Like

It should be off/off for all tournament level games.

Overall, this is still just a game. If my opponent needs that to play, then that is how they learn.

4 Likes

So while it would be nice to have it available for spectators, can I just open the tab in another browser or private browsing and then be a spectator to my own game?

I think that will impact the vote.

4 Likes

@S_Alexander that’s the “It should be an option when creating a game, but default it to disabled” vote option is

2 Likes

With the current system, one could use the analysis feature to play a move and then ask the strong AI to estimate the score for that new position. This would help prevent blunders. Further, if one makes enough queries to the estimator (which is even easier to do with correspondence timing), then one could even figure out what the AI thinks is the best move.

Would it be considered cheating to use the score estimator like this?

4 Likes

Whats the point of having score estimator, if it would be disabled by default?

1 Like

This is the fastest-replied and most volatile poll I have ever seen on the forums.
70 voters in 10 minutes. wow

7 Likes

It might be useful for teaching and/or unranked games, either between friends or just people who both agree it’s ok.

See yebellz point above :slight_smile:

Also I think Katago scoring the game at the end will be useful in many game situations, except when it gives away the status of groups :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think spectators should always be able to use it. Makes kibitzing better.

4 Likes

It helps that it is a pinned thread and there is a notification on the main site. Pretty fun to watch it update in real time.

2 Likes

Maybe katago scoring should be a button if one player disagrees with the life and death?

1 Like

I think it should be the same way it is with the current estimation.
If it is switched off at the game search it should be off for ALL players and spectators, otherwise be on for ALL.

1 Like

But are you saying @anoek that the default disabling of SE would also disable analysis (and conditional moves)?
It seems to me that having analysis and conditional moves is useful and not really “cheating” whereas analysis with AI SE is very open to abuse.
Therefore, isn’t it a good combination to have analysis/conditional moves enabled by SE disabled?

2 Likes

I think @anoek means to imply that it would entail separating analysis/conditional moves and score estimation into separate options.

3 Likes

you make a rule only if you can enforce it. So for correspondence games it seems difficult to check if someone use the score estimator or not.
For all the other rated games, I think a good score estimator is a too useful tool to be allowed.
If we can have a few guarantee that allowing it for spectators won’t help the players then it’s a great feature.

1 Like

“Only the score should be visible” would make it completely impossible to use it to assist with counting, since you wouldn’t know what it’s counting.

1 Like

I think I’d separate them at this point. I used to argue that it should be an all or nothing because we already have option-overload, and the SE was pretty bad so I felt it made sense to lump it in with disabling analysis and conditional moves as some folks consider using those tools to affect the game too much. But now the new SE is pretty good, I think it makes sense to separate out those into separate options.

10 Likes