Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

This is a thread for random, one-off questions that don’t merit their own thread.

I’ll start it off.

I was trying to make ground beef hamburgers, and the patties fell apart in the pan. Any ideas on how to fix this for next time?

12 Likes

Egg, or work them a bit more when shaping them. Letting them rest helps.

5 Likes

Hands off! You need to cook them, without any touching or fussing, until the edges are browned and you can see juices pooling in the center of patties, about 5 minutes. Then you want to use a thin metal spatula, preferably a flexible one like a fish spatula, underneath patties to flip them over.

If they’re still breaking, it might have to do with how you form the patties. You need to work the meat into smooth spheres and compact them lightly. Then don’t flatten them with your hands; flatten them using parchment paper, plastic wrap, or foil.

13 Likes

Agreed, though as long as you wash your hands (which you should be anyway when cooking, especially with raw meat), what’s wrong with using your hands?

1 Like

Well, @mark5000 said pretty much what I wanted to say, except that you can put them in the fridge for a bit, then they’ll be firmer.

5 Likes

The patty can become uneven and, well, fall apart.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just that we always make ours super thick? (like, almost 1 inch thick in the center), so maybe that’s why I haven’t noticed them falling apart?

2 Likes

Ah, your kind of hamburgers. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll see my Greek cuisine self out.

9 Likes

I think this question does deserve its own thread.

6 Likes

Blasphemy! You have contravened the order of the Questions That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread thread!

5 Likes

Next question.

Does the previous question deserve its own thread?

6 Likes

All questions should deserve their own threads.

4 Likes

Does the previous question deserve it’s own thread?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

3 Likes

Should you be able to vote for both options in the poll right before this?
I vote no.

2 Likes

I mean it will be it’s own thread if no one else asks a question lol.

5 Likes

No, but I don’t think it’s important enough to fix.

1 Like

I have a question. What question are we going to answer next?

2 Likes

Should go take a page out of tournament chess and adopt green/beige goban?

• Yes
  • No, our boring wooden caveman boards are fine.

0 voters

2 Likes

Well, I think we have our answer: corners traditional, edges and center green and beige. Nice compromise to keep everyone happy.

2 Likes

What is the best artlang to learn (so no altlangs like Esperanto, and no loglangs like Lojban, but Klingon and Na’vi are fine)?

4 Likes