Rengo status

I think list of rengo games on https://online-go.com/play should start with blitz and live rengo first, it will reduce wait time where it is important.
(currently it may be hard to find with a lot of correspondence rengo)

2 Likes

That’s this one, thanks

1 Like

It turns out that this message means “The developer had no idea you could do that!!

Thanks to @Gooplet for making the clip showing what’s going on. I literally never would have found that!

edit:

LOL … this turns out to be how you can get twice into the one game, as well, at least apparently on the screen.

7 Likes

Is this the place to ask how to see what Komi is in Rengo games? (Or if w/e pause is selected) When you join you are just in the lobby with no game info shown.
(I guess if there is no warning triangle then the Komi is either none or automatic though)

(Ah, I’ve worked out that you can find the relevant square in the plot and see in the pop up. But it’s not very easy on a phone at least!)

5 Likes

It probably already was reported but I couldnt find the specific issue:

I am wondering if the big rengo games list is due to players not having access to their Rengo game setups anymore and they bugged out. If someone opened a Rengo table, they shouldnt be able to open a second one right? There are many players with multiple open Rengo tables, so I am wondering if thats due to a bug where they created multiple.

2 Likes

Also the thought that no one would use correspondence Rengo is slightly amusing, as I am absolutely 100% sure it will find many fans as there is no other service one can play it that way (unless I am forgetting a feature of a server somewhere). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, at the heart of this is the way the game-forming table is presented - there are various issues raised that amount to the same thing.

I’m thinking about that … it’s simply new territory for the existing challenge page: this kind of waiting and administering…

But is it a bug that some players opened multiple tables or should I be able to do that intentionally?

Oh and handicap stones arent working yet, right? :slight_smile: Because an automatic handicap that is calculated from the player strength would be neat!

1 Like

It’s not a bug that you can do it for correspondence, but it’s a bug that you can’t easily get back to the one you want when you want to :open_mouth:

This is almost next on my list … I’m looking at “don’t end game on timeout” as well.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that it’s not possible to choose the players’ order.
In the last game I started I assigned everyone a color following the ranks’ order (starting from 7d ), but this is not what I got when I passed them from unassigned to a specific color and I couldn’t change it

4 Likes

I have a comment in the code somewhere saying “when the players start wanting to chose the order, we’ll have to do something about this”. :wink:

11 Likes

This is (hopefully) fixed now. That feature I never knew about should work for joining rengo games.

Rengo challenges are also sorted by “time per move”

(there is a bug which is that “None” timesetting is at the top instead of the bottom).

4 Likes

I was just thinking that it would be fun for the sequence to run from weakest to strongest so that the later players are repairing earlier moves rather than later players breaking earlier moves… I guess it makes no practical difference though for large numbers of players.

It’s a classic Rengo tactic to use move order to enable a weaker player to limit the opportunities of the following strong opponent.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s one of those things I could see was coming, but couldn’t deal with right then :slight_smile:

It makes sense to me.

(That’s how a lot of comments get in code :smiley: )

Edit: on a side-note, I’ve been trying to picture if there is a way to break up the “she always plays after him”. We could have “through and back” for example… just a thought: may need a new thread for “Rengo switch algorithms”

5 Likes

That could be an interesting innovation (as option ofc)

1 Like

I just tapped “game info” in sofiam’s game and instantly regretted it…

12 Likes

Also regretting being on the white team…

6 Likes

I disagree, it would be so fun imagining the dan faces when we ruin their carefully crafted plans… :smiling_imp:

7 Likes

I think that happens regardless of the exact playing order

8 Likes