Rudeness about the undo button

I think that sort of thing in the end result just uses up your time, and gives the opponent that time to think (assuming it takes you a little bit of time to accept the undo in a live game).

I think it makes sense to decline further undo requests in situations like those, especially if it’s a live game.

4 Likes

Wait… We have one of those???

6 Likes

I’ve decided to grant undo without thinking, not to save my time, but my emotion. :stuck_out_tongue:

For the record, I don’t hesitate to request an undo if I indeed misclick, but not in a tournament.

Having said all those, if one day I am in a place to win a placing in a tournament, even just for bragging right, don’t expect me to grant any undo. lol

Btw, do Dan players request undo too? Being a sdk, I’ve not seen any myself and don’t know how I feel about that.

3 Likes

No, it was on KGS.

Btw, I would never betray OGS, had it not be a tournament. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

OGS is comfortable with polyamorous relationships :wink:

6 Likes

Well sure we do!

6 Likes

The Meme thread actually has a funny meme that says something like “Requests undo. Plays same move.”

6 Likes

But this is the easy scenario.

If all undo requests were for obvious misclicks, and came instantly after the move, it would all be easy, we wouldn’t even be having this thread I bet.

The fact is that they aren’t all like that, and if you haven’t had someone try to take back an actual mistake, you are one of the lucky ones.

3 Likes

nope

11 Likes

There are people with arthritis or nervousness. Having said that, I always allow it. If I win- I won’t feel like I deserve to win knowing that the op misc licked.

2 Likes

One of my considerations is the time elapsed between the play and the request for “undo.” if it is immediate and I still haven’t given much thought to my play, I usually assume that the opponent hit the wrong point in error. If, however, I have been giving some thought to my response, and then the opponent wants an undo, I am likely to ignore the request.

4 Likes

Have to say I honestly don’t care. I never undo when I miss-click. I do give my opponent undo for there miss-clicks. I don’t think winning by a miss click makes the game less deserving and winning after allowing undo does not make it feel more deserving to me.

I sometimes win games and feel like I didn’t deserve it no matter how many times I allow my opponent to undo. I only feel deserved if I feel like I played well :slight_smile: and one missclick isn’t going to effect weather I played well or not.

5 Likes

I play live games with submit-move and give undo to no one.

3 Likes

I just started using submit move for live games. I wish other servers had it too or at least double clicking.

6 Likes

Yeah, fair points. I misremembered the original post as calling out misclicks specifically, but on rereading, I see it doesn’t really say that. I still stand by what I said about misclicks, but I also agree with you that that’s the easy case.

As for the other case (taking back a strategic blunder) I do see it as… tactless? Idk exactly what the right word is :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: after thinking about it for a few minutes, I think what I want to say is that I see playing too fast and making a stupid move as being a very real danger that’s part of the actual game of Go, just like misreading a sequence or misjudging a position is part of the actual game. (This being in contrast to input errors, which feel like they are outside the game.) So asking to undo one move after playing too fast would be a bit like asking to undo a whole sequence after you realize you misread it.

3 Likes

I don’t know about others, but I (3d EGF) cannot remember ever having requested undo in a competitive game (only in teaching games, to undo a sequence of moves, so my student can undo a mistaken move sequence).

But I usually play on a computer with a mouse, not a dodgy tiny phone screen, so I rarely misclick.

When it happens, it’s usually one of my cats stepping on my touchpad while I’m briefly AFK :flushed:
But their moves tend to be not so terrible, so I just continue from there :face_with_monocle:

8 Likes

ha, i did not know we can undo multiple moves.

in a recent game, my opponent asked for undo in the chat. I responded: sorry, i did not see your undo request and already played.

2 Likes

I think there should be a 5 seconds timeout after undo is granted, to make sure it’s just a miss click.
At least in all ranked game.

My 6 year old son often found his move was bad, requested an undo and started to think about a better move. I told him it’s not how he’s supposed to use undo. He’s trying but sometimes he still couldn’t help doing that.

3 Likes

I know that’s horrible behavior, but what a cute story. I love that Go can be a source of teaching moments like that!

7 Likes

I learned Go this way. :grin:
Since I had nobody near to start playing, I started playing against an app on my smartphone.
Taking back moves and trying something else was super useful to understand the first notions of strategy.

It worked so well that I entered OGS at a SDK level! :smile:
<not true, I’m just joking, but after last change in rating system it actually seems that I’ve never been DDK>

5 Likes