Rudeness about the undo button

Not sure what you mean with “after undo is granted” …

But it made me think that maybe an option to allow undo only for so-and-so many seconds after that move was made might be an idea? (For ranked live games, not correspondence, of course.)

I don’t exactly know how quickly a misclick is realized for others but for me it is within a second. So … maybe give them five seconds to click “undo”?

4 Likes

This sounds pretty reasonable.

I think it’s possible that someone misclicked but only realized it 5 seconds later.
Also if you undo after 20 seconds, it’s your opponent to decide whether to grant you undo or not.

However, it’s impossible for someone to use more than 5 seconds just to remember where he actually wanted to click. It will be really rude to spend a long time after undo is granted.

The time limit after the undo is granted makes perfect sense to me. Before…maybe if there’s a keyboard shortcut it would make more sense to me in particular, but I wouldn’t oppose.

Another idea/suggestion: Would it be crazy to store the undos as part of the game record?? (as variation branches)

6 Likes

Yes please! This would be useful to me even in absence of bad behavior. So often I look at a game with a friend where we are discussing a mistake, but no evidence of what the mistake was because we undid it!

7 Likes

Ah, now I understand, thx!

1 Like

I almost feel that I should apologise for posting this…

Cookie

But only ‘almost’. :smiley:

9 Likes

Omg this is perfect

1 Like

don’t

Sometimes my opponents not understand what Chinese rules are because they usually play Japanese. So they pass instead of taking liberty and win by 0.5. I explain and tell them “please click undo”. Then I accept.

To undo or not to undo should be between players.

11 Likes

Similar anecdote, in club games I do the most undos. Often I need to send a variation or two to explain why the move was incorrect. Undos not just for misclicks!

1 Like

I better balance that last one with an anti-royalist one:

9 Likes

How about playing in Zen mode? I’m not aware if the undo requests appear while using it, but I think they don’t, since it’s defeating the point of using Zen mode.

1 Like

I think that that the “?” will show up on the last move, though I admit I’m too lazy to try it out to see…

1 Like

Yes. The ‘?’ shows up to indicate an undo request in zen mode. Note however that this can be disabled in settings.

4 Likes

This started off with a post about someone asking for undo and then being rude when it was not granted. I once faced the opposite situation. I was playing over-the-board with friend who was about 5 stones stronger than me at the time (only two stones stronger now, hehe). I played a killer shortage-of-liberties tesuji by accident that flipped the result in my favour. My friend praised my excellent play enthusiastically. But, being a DDK at the time, I did not realize how good my tesuji was and I thought I had just broken through their wall to reduce their territory a little. So I played elsewhere rather than complete the tesuji, not realising that one more move would capture a big group and effectively win the game. When I did that, my friend said “No, no, no, no! I cannot let you do that. You must take that move back and play over here.” Forced undo, LOL.

Sadly, I have made a similar mistake against the same friend just yesterday - played a killer tesuji, misread the follow-up. Thankfully, this time it only cost me 2 points and I’m more than 10 ahead with only a handful of moves left to play. Phew!

12 Likes

I played a game yesterday with someone either weaker or about my strength and I allowed 3 undos… Lol One was a bit questionable but what the hell.

We need to have it as part of the game history where undo were accepted and given. Kind of like a undo tree. : )

10 Likes

^^^ good idea!

1 Like

Interestingly, if you undo back to the start of a game the ‘cancel game’ option reappears.

So theoretically if two players wished to annul their game (before it was over) they could do so without asking a mod for help.

6 Likes

“Hey, we started this game by mistake, we hate the time setting, could you annull it please?”

“Oh, just undo all the way back and cancel, see you later” :smiley:

5 Likes

Writing the auto reply bot now :rofl:

4 Likes