Share your shapes

Pentengen - playing the middle of the pentagon:
Screenshot_20210710-220231~2

7 Likes

One you see something once, you see it everywhere!

Here’s one in So–Kondo 2020, a 9p vs 1p game detailed in Fairbairn’s article on L19.

I agree with John that So Yokoku’s opening as Black was very simple and instructive.

2 Likes

I’ve hit a wall…

4 Likes

Run at it with elephants

Well, I mean it’d be better with sound

12 Likes

A lightning bolt!

From Redmond’s stream video

6 Likes

I think this looks like a pretty tuning fork!

I can even recognize a resonator :smiley:

(game still in progress, please don’t comment the game)

9 Likes

(vs 7k)

oo

7 Likes

Kamelotusky vs kuuu

Edit: rotated and tweaked

6 Likes

jlt’s L19 thread Shapes to remember (SDK level) has been running since 2019.

I think it’s a product of reviewing many, many GoKibitz DDK games in which good cuts weren’t taken (I had to take a mental health break just this morning when I found myself commenting simply “Take! The! Cut!” to a hapless 13k) but, even though jlt and I are about the same level, I can’t myself ever missing this White to play solution.

Nice, I found this one as well:

Seems like I won’t have to return my SDK card yet.

I found a hammer in dfan’s study journal.

dfan’s opponent invaded his centre in a mid-SDK game at the 2018 USGC.

He comments

Black ended up making a ko that let him connect to the bottom, but I got more than enough compensation and was already up by about 20 when he made an endgame blunder and resigned.

1 Like

Toothpaste shape

2 Likes

Interesting that the toothpaste shapes shusai is the master of, the bot at Dan level support can’t keep up with it.

It’s like it thinks Black is winning, there’s a tonne of blue moves, lots of positive changes in score like +4, +0.5 etc and then it realises Whites better.

Katago vs Shusai would be an interesting game :slight_smile: More than 1000 playouts needed

1 Like

Here’s a pro commentary on the Shusai Karigane classic. translation of a 9d pro commentary • Life In 19x19. And yes low playouts KataGo of course struggles with it. I’ve seen some high playouts analysis somewhere.

2 Likes

It hurts my eyes (absolute dumpling)

and yet

5 Likes

But why? It nicely removes an empty triangle!!! :wink:

6 Likes

From a whole board 13x13 game, I give you “the rat”:

Still don't see it?

the-rat

How about now?

Cookie?

Naughty opponent invaded the top and ruined a perfectly good rat that could have been a finished game. They didn’t even live! Just threw in a load of dead stones to make a “rat-with-saddle” :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

And here we have “the steam-boat”:

Screenshot_20210806-210341

Black stones are the water and the chimneys, white stones are the boat and the smoke:

10 Likes

When stones start to touch a lot, like when closing boundaries, shape is much less a thing.

1 Like

A rat escaping the trap

1 Like