Show your Goban/Study Space!

Hi,

Lots of beautiful places and gobans here.

I started playing go last october and needed my own goban. So I took my old living room table and reworked it.
Here is the final result:

I started with the following table:

Full imgur album with all the steps of wood work (sanding, oiling, drawing…):
https://imgur.com/a/LGgTFtB

In the future I’d love to have signatures on the table by dan players who would share a game on this table.
Maybe write some nice go proverbs or maybe carve a dragon and a phœnix or something. But so far it is functional and enjoyable.

Hope you enjoy.

28 Likes

I can well imagine the dinnertime conversation around a table like that. And I guess the old boardinghouse reach would get quite a workout. Could you pass the butter with your next move?

Nicely done by the way.

1 Like

This table is much too beautiful to let amateurs sully it with their dirty signatures.

Seriously, nice work.

2 Likes

have you considered doing any lichtenberg figures? I think that would look pretty sweet. Awesome job though, looks nice.

Haha. Thanks, maybe you are right about the signatures.

I love the idea! I have started looking at the process. It can be a bit tricky. I have to train on some pieces of wood to feel how it goes and maybe one day I’ll try on the table. It could be really nice.

yeah, you can definitely get some varying results. I think it depends a lot on the kind of wood, and especially the grain. But if done well would look pretty awesome. Post some picks when you finish it!

Let’s show 2020 these lovely photographs. (I think this is the end of my thread-dredging.)

2 Likes

Carving out some space at the office to study a curious game on an unusual goban

15 Likes

Sweet!!!

1 Like

What a nice surprise!

I have had two versions of this cover over the years, the first one I made myself and just wasn’t right, but I love this one, and it is much better.

22 Likes

Board made of pinewood and laser engraving, yunzi stones bought from yellow mountain as well of the bowls (it was a combo i saw years ago on amazon)

This set up is in my room and is used to study a lot of things apart from go.

16 Likes

Did you do the laser engraving yourself, or was it bought like that? I have been thinking of refinishing a board, but not confident on how I would get the lines back on.

i made the bord from scratch, i send it to a laser machine here on my city, lines got a little big about 1,5mm and now i am thinking on adding paint to them and epoxy resin, this was with engraving, but you can also try with marking the lines with the laser, is cheaper and i think it will do a good result remember to have a little extra material so you can perform some experiments on it, engraving markin varnishing, etc.

22 Likes

My Zen room. Lofty thoughts are purported to happen here (or not).

24 Likes

When your supposed to be working but find yourself playing Go online, then taking pictures of your setup so that you can share it with friends, then remember that there is a study/goban thread on ogs and you may as well share it there too. . . Ahhh procrastination at its finest. Happy Satarday everyone. :slight_smile:

The board is homemade, a piece of panelling from my dads old bathtub.

23 Likes

You are a go addict when…

…also tablecloth has grid.

9 Likes

Indeed I would love to use my tablecloth as a Go board. I just counted, its 59 x 48. Not sure how many stones I’d need… something like 1000 of each colour?

6 Likes

You could always just mark out a 19x19 or smaller region on it to play on. Even non permanently with some household items, mugs, cutlery etc.

Or in the event you change your tablecloth, could cut out some board sizes from it :slight_smile:

1 Like