Show your Goban/Study Space!

Nice evening in view with weiqi friends.

2 Likes

My new set :smiley:
Shinkaya 6cm 2 piece board, size 34 Jitsuyo shell and slate stones, linden bowls. I am so in love.
This is a studying game against katago, 6hc, B+10.5

26 Likes

I’m bit jealous (especially for the stones) but I still give a like.

1 Like

Are you a professional photographer? This picture is great.

1 Like

My Board for study

13 Likes

No, but thanks anyway!

1 Like

bumpcat to the rescue! (again)

3 Likes

I don’t always have the board out like this but it made a better picture :wink:
the stones are in the bag underneath… I’ve had this inexpensive YMI board with glass stones for many years, but actually bought the bag about one year ago exactly, when I started getting back to playing. I thought maybe I would have an opportunity to take them somewhere and play in person :sob:

16 Likes

Why I’m stuck at SDK:

18 Likes

15 Likes

A child dream… Is that a DIY board?

1 Like

Yes, I made it myself. :slight_smile: It’s a thin board and not of high quality, but it’s mine.

And the child is usually like “no, you can’t play Go now, you need to play Lego with me!”, or something like that. :wink: So, not much time to study.

5 Likes

That dinosaurs looks like memory game,am I wrong?

It’s more like a bingo game. :slight_smile: Each player get’s a board with 9 dinosaurs, and then you turn over cards and if you have that dinosaur on your board, you can place it there. Or you can play it in the way that someone is the game master, who takes a card without letting the players see it and starts to describe the dinosaur until the players find out if they have it.
The drawings are cute and there are many dinosaurs that I never heard of before. There’s a booklet included with facts about all the dinosaurs in the game.

2 Likes

They look great.

1 Like

What?!? You made an entire goban and did not think twice about posting the procedure in my "Building a Go Board thread? And most importantly, you did not alert @Skurj to solve any of the challenges and difficulties along the way, making the process a breeze?!? Shame on you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, that looks pretty awesome!

3 Likes

Oooh, I totally forgot to answer… Sorry.

Well… I made that Goban twelve or so years ago and have no pictures of the process. :slight_smile:
(It was actually part of my ergotherapy sessions that I had because of my depression. Ergotherapy is awesome. :heart:)
It’s not made from solid wood, but from plywood (I had to look up the right term, so I’m including this link for other non-native-speakers :slight_smile: ). The grid was copied from a thin plastic starter set, like the one in this image:

I think, I first covered the board with carbon paper, then fixed this plastic goban on top of it, and copied the lines using a ballpen. Afterwards, I took all of that away and redraw the lines with, I don’t remember, just some black ballpen, I guess?
Then I painted the waves and finally sealed everything with clear coat.
So, all very simple and basic, no high quality, nothing special to see here. :wink:

5 Likes

Oh, I see. That is very cool!

Plywood is great stuff considering that it is extremely durable and affordable for what you get from it. It is typically used on a lot of construction projects for framing, etc. In my mind, it should be used in place of OSB (oriental strip board that is similar but has chips of wood glued together in layers instead), but then there is that cost thing which is really important for most projects (OSB is cheaper that plywood usually). Typically, it is wood that would be hidden such as in the frame of a building, and so not for decorative or super high quality things you would want to look at, but it appears that that actually worked out quite nicely for you.

Very creative! I hope it serves you well for years to come.

2 Likes