Suggest a new rule you'd like to see in Go (fun times)

If the ultimate Go/Weiqi/Baduk committee decided to do a game overhaul to mark the rise of a new era (I guess right around the time the forever tournament ends) and asked your opinion, what would be your proposal?

There’s not such thing as “too crazy”, “perfect as it is” is not allowed.

5 Likes

NZD Rules with 7.0 komi and draws allowed. Also handicap games being played with -7.0 komi instead of 0.0 komi, so that each handicap stone is actually worth a whole number of stones instead of 1/2, 3/2, 5/2, &c… And reverse komi gaining wider acceptance and displacing handicap stones as the default.

7 Likes

The way to greatly increase freedom:

First 4 moves are usually placed only on 4-4 or 4-3 because other are less efficient.
But, what if komi is decided only after first 4 moves are made?
Then any move is ok!
You can choose to become 2-7 master for example. And 4-4 master will have no experience what to do against you, komi no longer will be on his side.
Everyone will have to expect anything and train everything.
Its equal to increase complexity of Go.

Ways to implement (after 4 moves are made) :

1. Even in old programs like ZenithGo you can run simulation in review with any komi to find fast which gives 50%. KataGo can estimate points difference instantly. If someone will train neural net only for this mission, it will guess good komi better than any human.
  2. Players choose komi. Maybe you have ideas - how?
8 Likes

Standard board size for professionals games become 21x21

5 Likes

The standard way to do is, is to use the pie rule. Both players play four moves, then one player picks the komi, and the other chooses which side to play with. The person who picks the komi thinks he gets a fair chance (or would’ve chosen different komi), and the person who chooses their side believes they have the better position.

7 Likes

IDIOT GO:

1. Every x moves (x could be 5 or 10 or whatever you like, but not too often) alternatingly white/black picks a card with a task and performs this task.
  2. The tasks can be whatever you want, but should be really out of the box.
  3. Here are some suggestions of tasks:
    a) skip a move/pass.
    b) role changing: black plays on as white and vice versa.
    c) play a certain move: keima, etc.
    d) give back all the captured prisoners.
    e) create a certain shape
  4. Etc. Feel free to add some crazy task.
1 Like

That exists already since long ago,
I don’t remember the name exactly (poker go?) It was a collection of printed cards some had a shape you had to play… And other things.

Found: CardsGo

3 Likes

It seems like what is proposing Blackie sometimes on twitch with its BIBA (Blackie’s International Baduk Academy).

You have only 3 cards for each player. The cards are assigned at beginning randomly from:

1. keyma (knights move)
  2. o-keima (large knights move)
  3. kosumi (diagonal move)
  4. elephant’s move (diagonal jump)
  5. one point jump
  6. two points jump

You can play one of your card when you want during the game at your turn. This means that you play two stones in the same move. It is a game changer. You can see teaching games played on twitch by Blackie where a smart use of the cards can completely revert a desperate position.

This can be easily played on OGS too with a simple opponents’ agreement. It is enough that one declare in the chat when he want to play a card and the opponent should pass for that turn so that you can play the combination you like.

4 Likes

Another way to do it komi bidding.

After playing X moves, each player submits a bid (in points given to White) for the privilege of continuing the game while playing as Black. These bids can even be negative, but the largest bid gets to play as Black, while the other player gets While with that bid as komi.

5 Likes

This trade can be repeated more than once with game progress (switching eventually the colors) or it is limited to the one you described in the fuseki?

1 Like

Thank you @ayaros and @Groin, what you referred to is for me much too serious.

What I had in mind was much more bizarre, absurd, crazy, out of the box; although I am not against a “serious” version.

Typically, it would be done just once at the beginning of the game (before any stones are played, i.e., X = 0) as an alternative to just using a fixed komi.

The extension to doing it after X stones have been placed seems to be a natural generalization to the context, but I’m not really aware of it being practiced.

I suppose one could consider multiple switches during the game, but maybe only the last one really matters? Another similar mechanism would be to allow a player to offer to switch colors in exchange for X points of compensation, and the other player could choose to accept or decline.

2 Likes

Drubk Go: Both players start the game with an alcoholic beverage of their choice by their side.
Every time a player has one of their pieces captured they take a sip of their drink.

Want to stay clear headed? Play thick moves and avoid captures.
Want to get drubk quickly? Ko battle!

4 Likes

Strip Go is not what I had in mind when I started this thread, but if we’re going that way, no way I’m letting someone else claim the idea.

5 Likes

Why not incorporate rules from other games? For each 5 stone stick that remains on the board during counting, that player gets an extra point toward their score. Once per game per player, you’re allowed to change stones to the opposite color if you surrounded it on 2 sides.

1 Like

Pawns Stones connects vertically/horizontally as before but now captures diagonally.

Edit: on longer thought it sound like a decent rule actually. Maybe I’ll try it out irl

3 Likes

You have to use skills to put stones now. So like some could let you put down multiple or freeze their move. But you only have a certain amount of charge to play with. and when you run out, you have a 50% chance of not putting a stone down and a 25% chance of that one stone going it some random spot.

1 Like
1 Like

Yep, but add in every board game rule that people might mistake for go. Like how if you you can jump over and kill a stone if you diagonal it (checkers)

3 Likes

Add a rule that instead to add a stone allow you also to remove one of your stones and place it elsewhere. You have the advantage to correct something on the board but you loose a placement. You are not allowed to make this choice twice in a row. Quite fair.

5 Likes