Text editors that Go players like

Did you mean to ask about text editors or code editors?

I still fire up emacs for text editing, but unfortunately IDEs took over in their capabilities around modern coding frameworks. I have emacs bindings in my IDEs though :wink:

1 Like

But, emacs can be endlessly configured to work as a full-featured IDE, integrate with debuggers, check your email, and even brew coffee! A ā€œrealā€ emacs user would never abandon such glory. :wink:

I so thoroughly enjoy when the little trivialities that I write on this forum seem to have an effect on the expressions of others. Itā€™s quite amazing to see how ideas and even single words spread virally (i.e., memes), like people saying ā€œpedant/pedantry/pedanticā€ or pronouncing OGS as an acronym.

This is totally a thing - microcosm culture & dialects. Iā€™m sure that if you watch your family, or your workplace, you will see this in action. I certainly do - itā€™s quite an odd sensation to notice your wife or children suddenly using a particular phrase you use from time to time.

1 Like

FTR I used it this way myself for what must be approaching two decades.

No wonder I need the keybindings now in other IDEs :smiley:

But ā€¦ it didnā€™t keep up. True fact.

Yes, of course. I often notice it in my interactions with other human beings in my real life as an actual human being. Iā€™m definitely not just a chat bot pretending to be a human on this web forum.

Maybe the OGS community, and particularly this forum, is like a bubble, but it certainly is one that manages to span the world. I wonder if now a group of friends, family and colleagues half way around the world are going to find themselves inexplicably hearing and saying the word countenance far more than usual over the next few months.

Did you mean to ask about text editors or code editors?

Haha I was poking a bit of fun at the fact that someone had compared the gender poll to the vim/emacs flamewar. I was asking specifically about the vim/emacs debate, but if you have a favorite IDE, certainly donā€™t mind you sharing!

1 Like

But man, you were not specific enough :wink:

These days the vim/emacs debate has forks along the road! Are you talking code, or text or coffee??

For me, I use emacs as a text editor, but no longer for code.

1 Like

Emacs all day, every day. Vim for massive files that need to be opened more efficiently.

Notepad++ anyone?

4 Likes

Iā€™m more of an Atom guy myself, but lately I find myself using VS Code a lot

2 Likes

Yes but this thread is about text editors :wink:

TeXstudio. :wink:

I think the same thing happens with emoticons.

I came into the OSR discord using :3 a lot. A year later and Iā€™d starting using c: more, and Iā€™m pretty sure the c: guy had started using :3. See also o/, :<, ^^ etc.

Does Microsoft Word count as a text editor?

7 Likes

IntelliJ + vim keybinds plugin, nothing else can touch its java support

s/vim/emacs/g

(I typed this and then realised an irony ā€¦ it didnā€™t escape me :wink: )

1 Like
6 Likes

In Windows I use Notepad++
In Linux I use Vim from within the terminal (the one TRUE text editor)
In OSX I use(d) (tries to remember back that farā€¦) TextMateā€¦? The logo looks wrong but it was something similarā€¦

ā€¦donā€™t ask me why there is so much inconsistency :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I rarely write code, and only small scripts. Notepad++ on Windows, Gedit or whatever default editor I find on Linux. Syntax colouring is enough for me. Same for HTML & CSS or plain text.

Typora for Markdown.

I tried emacs, but I never passed the initial ugliness factor and the fact that

• Basic tasks (change the encoding) require three shortcuts + typing
  • I had to learn two keyboard shortcut sets (one for emacs, one for the rest of the world).

Probably all of this can be customised, but I never found a feature to make it worth my while.
(sorry if this is not in the spirit of the thread, Iā€™ve genuinely been frustrated by this)

2 Likes

Note that I am misquoted in the above post. I did not say that - and in fact, I think the opposite. I used emacs exclusively for possibly 2 decades.

1 Like