The ruleset of the game should be easier to see

There is some room here:

So perhaps like this it would be less confusing and not eating up valuable space:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, Gennan, that isnā€™t the mobile phone layout :frowning:

I will say that ā€œhover as a UI solutionā€ has never been accepted before, due to the phone issue.

3 Likes

To me thereā€™s something beautiful about being able to see everything you need to know to play the game on the screen at the same time, without having to click around.

You need the stones on the board, the clocks, the current player, captures (for JP rules at least), handicap, and the ruleset. Together, these define the game. You can just sit and stare at it and in theory you are limited only by your ability to analyze what you see.

Would you be okay hiding the state of intersection A19 behind a pop-up? Like the ruleset, that spot only rarely affects the gameplay. I think hiding any of these things detracts from the nature of Go as a game of perfect information.

But yes, kind of like @gennan just said, if you want to free up some space, there seems to be a ton wasted around here:

3 Likes

To be a bonus the rules should be visible without any action, because the rules are already mentioned in the game infos.

3 Likes

^^ thatā€™s also not the phone layout, right?

The solution is easy on the desktop layout :sob:

I think this extraneous space is the most promising. Itā€™s actually present in blackā€™s card as well - you can push the clock over to the left.

This means we could have a third ā€œcardā€ in that row, with whatever information we all want.

Game information row, black details, white details, game details ā€¦

2 Likes

In mobile phone layout (portrait mode), itā€™s not that different. The board is between the player boxes and the panel indicating the game status, so you might have to scroll a bit when the AI review is displayed:

Also, I feel that quite a lot of space is wasted by the players boxes. Moving things around a bit may free up some valuable space for other stuff.

2 Likes

Except that one of those arrows is pointing right where the clock goes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Whereā€™s your clock!? Maybe that was a finished game?

2 Likes

Yes, sorry. I didnā€™t realise that space was needed for the clocks.

1 Like

I like that idea.

Something like :scroll: NZ
(I would put both symbol and code)

1 Like

I feel that icon doesnā€™t fit the style of the rest of the UI.
Something like this would fit better IMO:

image or image

3 Likes

As a somewhat OCD person I like to see a few things intentionally ā€œwrongā€ around me as a reminder to get over it. Itā€™s not that big of a deal.

But in case it helps justify it, the ruleset being on Black could be a hint about counting: if Black plays last then Black loses a point in JP vs CN rules. Otherwise you can usually count either way and get the same answer.

3 Likes

It could be a hint, but it isnā€™t an effective one.

Like Uberdude, I was unaware of this thread, and totally bemused by the initials appearing in the player card.

I think itā€™s the wrong answer. Itā€™s even worse when thereā€™s a circle with a number in it after the initials - these appear related, and itā€™s all very cryptic.

Letā€™s find a better solution. Iā€™m certainly willing to help - though I need a little time to think about what other possibilities there are.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a thought: how about putting an ā“˜ in the place where there is currently mysterious initials.

That ā“˜ clearly would say ā€œhere is more informationā€, and you can hover or click it to get that informationā€¦

click:

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 8.28.35 pm (3)

hover:

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 8.29.11 pm (3)

3 Likes

Personally, I donā€™t care much about the rule-set. But I do love the immediate visibility of handicaps. And that DOES fit well in the black players area. (I know, not very helpful for what you guys struggle with atm, still wanted to let you know that a part of whatā€™s new is helpful and consistent from my point of view.)

3 Likes

Yeah, in a separate conversation I observed that I canā€™t recall the last time I wondered ā€œgee, I wonder what the ruleset isā€.

Similarly, once the handicap stones are played, who cares how many there were? :face_with_monocle:

And yet, as it was pointed out to me, if you are the sort of person who plays a move in a game and then is on to the next one rapidly through many, maybe you need to be quickly reminded of what the rules for this one you just landed on are :woman_shrugging: ā€¦ thatā€™s the point of the thread eh.

Which just goes to show how many different ā€œways of using the siteā€ there are :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (I feel another dial on the cockpit coming upā€¦)

4 Likes

Mostly psychlogical for me. ā€˜Hey, how come Iā€™m that far behind against someone 8 ranks weaker than me.ā€™ A quick view of 8 stones handicap can rescue my ego in such situations! :rofl:

4 Likes

Not even when trying to work out if you need to fill dame or not? Or actually trying to work out why your opponent is filling dame, since I usually donā€™t fill them anyway!

Anyway, my vote would be for the Gennan solution and have something next to the submit button, your move text where thereā€™s a bunch of space.
Or put the button and your move/their move on the same line and have all the info in a row under the board navigation buttons.

3 Likes

Another possibility is if you play blitz games with the automatch finder.

2 Likes

Not only counting are the differences (handicap stones placement for ex.)

And for the next suggestions (like a ! to check) thatā€™s just redundancy, we have game infos already.

2 Likes

I keep looking at the page, and trying to find a good space for this on mobileā€¦ and I realize, while I do want this information, I donā€™t really want it enough to add more clutter :joy:

Personally I would be okay with needing to tap something (on mobile) to see the ruleset.

2 Likes