The ruleset of the game should be easier to see

There’s a weird, long-standing mobile bug where one player image is big and one is small… Maybe if we fixed that, it’s another extra space to consider putting the rules?

4 Likes

i didn’t notice but yes. mine is just less difference

btw, thank you for margins(L/R of goban) for who did it, much better almost pefect.

2 Likes

Maybe check some ongoing games? I think it’s related to the clock elements

(My finished games look a lot like your screenshot)

2 Likes

FWIW that’s only on some aspect ratios, not all portrait layouts.

It’s because the clock-fonts scale independently, and nothing is currently in place to lay the card out independently of clock-font-size.

So true - it’s not worth extra clutter or weird symbology.

For reference here’s how lichess does it:

(Of course chess rulesets are a bit more interesting than what we have here.)

5 Likes

Ah - this could be a winner: consuming a whole row with game information, but below the board, so maybe you need to scroll to see it, but at least the most important thing stays “at the top of the screen” (the player cards and board).

3 Likes

Ooh love that there’s time info too (wait is that what the 1+0 is?)

4 Likes

Agree. Though I think H3 is better than fancy 3 in a circle glyph as the H is a standard abbreviation for handicap and hint what it’s about without needing tooltip.

9 Likes

Yes, 1m+0s/move

3 Likes

Another thing that would be nice to see is the game name - “random test game” vs. “Tournament game: …” changes my attitude a lot.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What does JP stand for?

I thought the guy was japanese if you didn’t expain. lol

2 Likes

Jonathan Platt (a colleague) was my first thought.

I’ve raised in the linked thread that it is non-obvious, and illogical being on the black player’s card. Changes are likely coming.

Personally I don’t think game rules are necessarily important enough to show on the main game UI without further user interaction (they are already in game information pop up). There’s a balance to be made by product designers between giving what some users want (more information directly visible) vs what others want (cleaner UI).

6 Likes

it doesn’t matter 99% of times, but when someone loses by 0.5 because pass in the end instead of playing dame, its weird.
I’m afraid “JP” or “CN” is not clear enough. People who ignored game information before, would not try to understand what those mysterious 2 letters on black player means.

2 Likes

Something that only matters on one move (first pass) of ~120 in a game, and only makes a difference to result in <1% of games (within half point), and only to people who don’t play dame in Japanese rules even though you strictly speaking should, doesn’t seem like something worth cluttering the UI to me.

“If you are a player who doesn’t tend to play dame in Japanese rule games, check the game info before passing or you might lose by half a point 1 game in 500” is a legit rationale for saying no to the feature request.

2 Likes

I feel like JP for japanese rules is bit reduntant information because ~85% of all games played on ogs have japanese rules.

But the thing is, for all the other rulesets its really useful information for the exact reason that they are more rare. I have seen many cases where people dont realise that the game had chinese rules with handicaps, so black has placed one handicap stone and then waited for white to move. Or the other way around, white sees black placing multiple stones in a row and thinks something fishy is going on. And ive also seen bug reports caused by “send 2, capture 1” not being allowed under chinese superko rules.

Also stuff like suicides on NZ rules is extremely confusing if you do not realise that the game has NZ rules (tho i guess its still very confusing even when you know whats happening xD)

So, should we hide the JP for japanese rules but still show the rules there if the game has some other rules than japanese. Or is it better to keep it for the sake of consistency since otherwise only ~15% of the games have something written in that that slot?

Or do people want to revert back to how it used to be and only show which rules are in use at the ‘game information’ pop-up?

1 Like

I would prefer this.

3 Likes

It matters for people who count the score, too. Obviously not much in 19x19, but I have 3 half-point games and a tie in my last fifty 9x9s. (And that’s after counting the score and either resigning or trying something risky if appropriate.)

3 Likes

A common reason for me to double check the rules is to know how to correctly play out a final ko (for instance it matters whether dame are ko threats or not). And if the score is close-ish I don’t know whether that difference is game-deciding or not, so of course I will try to play score-optimally regardless. Needless to say, close-ish games with an endgame ko are not a rare occurrence!

I agree that the current placement of the rules info is not ideal, so I hope we can find a better place that still gives it the visibility it (IMO) deserves :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes