Timer countdown warning sound

I think the current timer starts with just 3 seconds left, so 3s, 2s, 1s, and 0 get beeps.

A quick improvement IMO would be beeps at something like this: 10, 5, 3, 2, 1, 0. Or something similar.

Full voice countdown from 10s would be best. :smile:

4 Likes

It does do a full voice count down if itā€™s your last 10 seconds, it only does the 3 beeps if youā€™re just using up a byoyomi period :slight_smile:

2 Likes

mh, can the voice countdown get an opt out? iā€™d really like to disable it, since i canā€™t play my last period with 10s byoyomi - that woman is driving me crazy.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll add it to the todo list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, I vote for either full voice count down for all periods, or extending the beeps for other periods as I suggested. 3 seconds is too short to reliably save a byo period IMO.

4 Likes

I like to have options where possible, so I agree with Flowing that stone sounds and countdown sounds should be separately togglable.

Personally, Iā€™d like to have the voice count the last ten seconds on all periods and also count the period number too, like on Tygem.

3 Likes

I think the beeps are too weak at the moment. I havenā€™t heard the womanā€™s voice yetā€¦ 3 seconds is too short as wellā€¦

1 Like

Two minutes ago I lost my game http://online-go.com/game/756055 by timeout. The voice countdown had just said ā€œfourā€. This is MAJOR bug. If the voice countdown cannot be trusted itā€™s useless. I probably have under 1 second lag to the server. Four or Three seconds is out of the question. Also it immeaditly said I lost on time. It didnā€™t wait for the countdown to finish.

Edit: It immeaditly said ā€œError processing moveā€ when I placed my stone while having around 3 seconds left in the clock.
The error persisted on the screen and it seems I had lost on time before my move.

2 Likes

I think I just reproduced that.
I saw my last byoyomi went to 10s, so I made my move - which resulted in ā€œerror processing moveā€.
So I hitted reload which resulted in my opponentā€™s last move reverted.
The black ā€œyou have moves openā€ box in the upper right was indicating 1 since it was my only open game, however, it wasnā€™t my turn, since the last stone got removed (timer was running for my opponent, too - my timer displayed a full period I think).
A few seconds later I lost by timeout (without any further actions). After a few reloads the last stone played is still one of mine.

4 Likes

I very much dislike the countdown voice. All I want to hear is the clicks when my opponent places a stone. The voice should be optional. Disabling sound completely is not good either because I wonā€™t be notified of my turn :confused:
p.s. didnā€™t start a new topic because somebody is going to complain I didnā€™t search the existing ones

2 Likes

second this, please make an option to turn that voice off, drives me crazy in blitz games. just three beeps at the last 3 seconds would do it.

2 Likes

it would really be helpful if the opt-out of the voice could be ā€œdoneā€ sometimes. thank you!

1 Like

I would love to be able to turn of the womans voice in the 10 sec countdown. I think many players dont like it at all, it would help we could turn it off ^^

2 Likes

My two bits here. beeps in the last 3 seconds would be too little time, given the possibility of communication delays.

For those who donā€™t want any sound at all, how do you keep track of the byo yomi periods? Isnā€™t it hard to think while watching the clock?

BTW, dyson spheres like voice countdowns very much. After years of running kgs with unsecure java 1.6 (for stone sounds) and hacked kgs client (for voice coundtowns), i noticed that ogs plays the same sounds without any risks and hacks. Iā€™m switching to ogs. Thanks!

4 Likes

saxmaam, when you play 3 seconds blitz, the steady rhythmic click of the stones gives a good framework to keep in rhythm. It is true that I time-out slightly less with byo-yomi voice but I also play a little worse because it is very distracting, just like watching the clock all the time.

Bumping this thread. I have to turn off the sound whenever playing a quick game, because I basically canā€™t think as soon as that woman starts talking. But then I lose the sound of the stones : (

1 Like

Thereā€™s also the issue of the woman counting down on MAIN TIME. It sets my heart racing and it makes me rush and mess up when thereā€™s no reason to. You can just make an indication when byoyomi has started. Like a beep or a statement.

Also a separate volume slider for countdown alone would be appreciated.

3 Likes

oh god yes, she starts yelling about 10-9-8 and i start rushing and its really
just the start of byo-yomi.

who can think with that going on anyways

a beep every second for the last 5 would probably be helpfulā€¦any more
than that and youā€™re actively making it harder to play

6 Likes

Personally I rather like the audio countdown. It makes the game feel more real. :slight_smile: But I think that the audio track should be different for the main time countdown. Maybe precede 10 with ā€œByo yomi starting inā€ or something along those lines?

And to clarify, I like how byo-yomi is counted down, keep it as is imho.

2 Likes