Translingual Shiritori

Also, in the process of study I hit a great couple of words in Old English:

nihtgenga, “nocturnal monster”
nihtgenge, hyena

So this makes me wonder: why was it that English people 1,000 years ago wanted to talk about hyenas but couldn’t use a Latin loanword? Perhaps nihtgenga coincidentally aligned with a calque “night-walker” (which is what the word actually means) from Arabic or a Berber language?

1 Like

I think that’s against the rules, but it’s happened a few times and I’m not bothered. To be honest, I think all the rulesets are basically opt-in at this point.

1 Like

Feel free to have this next word btw

Nihtgenga -> game English
Nihtgenge -> gelt English
Old English is different than modern English:)
Didn’t know what one was your word.

Oh, I wasn’t using them as game words. They don’t come off rye. rye is the word on the table.

Therefore, they could go next, if the rules are opt-in. Also I can’t think of any non-English words that start in ye.

No, they still need to come off rye in some way…

OK, how about this:

Reissen (to tear) – German

Sêne ⲥⲏⲛⲉ - granary f. (Coptic)

Btw, in modern Latin editions it has become usage to use V and u as upper- and lowercase version of.the same letter.

1 Like

nex (murder) – Latin

exwayana - to be dry with draught; to shrink apart through suspicion (Zulu). The X is a lateral click sound, the one to speak with horses.

1 Like

anarkhia, ἀναρχία (anarchy) – Ancient Greek

I think it’s interesting to look through the words in this thread and figure out how they’ve changed, from what I’ve identified so far as eight processes.

Naturalisation
Phonetic evolution
Inflection
Synthesis (sometimes in the service of calque)
Syllabic-root generation
Invention
Back-formation
Hyper-correction

1 Like

There’s a textbook by Lyle Campbell, Introduction to Linguistics that I must’ve sold or given away, or lend out, and I don’t have it anymore. He makes a list of processes of how word evolve. There’s also Grammaticalisation, that you could put into your list. It’s what happened to the future tense of romance words:

amare habeo ‘to love I have’
with a vulgar latin variant ho, has, hat to habeo, habes, habet
gives way to
amare-ho, amare-has, amare-hat
which will give way to
aimerai, aimeras, aimera in French, for example, and also in other Romance languages. A vestigial of this process is the fact, that Portuguese allows you to insert a direct pronoun between the verb and the ending.

2 Likes

c’mon lads, let’s keep this going.

anarkhia is on the board.

I am sorry but I don’t know a word to put here :no_mouth:

Chiasmos χιασμός - The opposite of a parallelism; a rhetoric device.

1 Like

mossy (English)

Sylphe (French, a genie, one of those who tend to sneak out of a bottle :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

1 Like

Hermanos - siblings(Spanish)

1 Like