Translingual Shiritori

nosocomio (Italian, a psychiatric hospital).

Edit: actually it just means hospital, but I’ve heard mostly in the narrower meaning I mentioned, for some reason.

1 Like

miolo (marrow / fruit kernel / soft part of bread) – Portuguese

Loco - crazy (Spanish)

On the side note, I just realised that the name of the cutely innocent anime character Komari means “vulva” in Rapa Nui, the language of Easter Island. You never stop learning.

1 Like

coram (Latin, in front of in presence of, e. g. coram deo, in the presence of God)

What I’d like to know is how you found out. We’re you passing the time leafing through a Rapa Nui dictionary?

I was looking up Komari to come off Loco, because I thought it might be derived from a known Japanese word.

Also, I’ve got two Hawaiian dictionaries and I think that is actually sufficient to speak passable Rapa Nui. The Polynesian languages aren’t very diverse.

Edit: I could’ve actually had komari as Czech “mosquito”.

rammelen (to shake) – Dutch

1 Like

Energy- English

gyptien (gypsy) – Old French

So-called because gypsies were wrongly believed to have migrated to Europe from Egypt.

1 Like

Engine - English
Bugcat seems to know so many old words from English and French.

ginnastica (exercise) – Italian

caccalari - that’s what I, but more so my mother would call an idiot. No idea where we picked that up; I believe it’s part of the parlance of Zurich, and they probably picked it up from Italianoids of some sorts.

1 Like

aridae (arid – fem. plural) – Latin

This makes me think – if you wanted to come off aridae, would you have the choice of:

• Classical pronunciation, eg. eyeshape
  • English pronunciation, eg. eels
  • Secondary English pronunciation, eg. alehouse

That would make it a very flexible ending.

Likewise, if you want to come of filii, could you choose between the classical i: and the English “eye”?

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m confused about your choices. I was taught 2 options:

1. Standard Latin (now sometimes called Ecclesiastical Latin) - - > aridae would end in the same sound English epoch would start with

2. The fancy new pronunciation some scholars have claimed is closer to golden age Latin (now sometimes called Classical Latin pr .) - - > aridae would end with the sound that Italian aeroporto starts with.

Neither option agrees with any of yours it seems.
And yes, I’m old

1 Like

Well then, just choose one of those words to continue with. You came up with the words.

When looking at how Latin takes loanwords from Greek, it always transforms αι into ae, suggesting that the two sounded the same to latin ears. Etymologically, words that ought to have an /ai/ in Indoeuropean also turn that into a latin ae. So yes, it is one syllable and I think aero is three; but you know that better than I do.

@cleinias I will check my Kennedy’s Latin Primer (1960s edition).

Also, I would pronounce the “e” in “epoch” as i:
Like the ee in bee. An ee sound.

I would say e: (like in “bay”) is the dominant pronunciation in the taxonomic community.