Translingual Shiritori

@cleinias @Sanonius

The sound of ae is:

Kennedy’s Latin Primer (1962): “Nearly as ai in aisle, French email.”

Oxford Latin Desk Dictionary (2005): “As igh in English high.”

Is someone going to actually give another word, or is this topic turning into a letter sounds lesson. It is important, but can we get on with the game at some point. I feel someone else who has been actively participating in the lesson should go. We’ve heard examples. Just someone needs to choose one of the examples to use. Please :no_mouth:

1 Like

Why don’t you go? aridae is on the board.

I just heard a guy on Time Team pronounce it with a schwa.

So we have all these interpretations:

1. Classical: /aɪ/
  2. English, primary: /i:/
  3. English, secondary: /eɪ/
  4. English, tertiary: /ə/

And then cleinias’ two pronunciations, whatever they are, which he’s communicated unclearly.

Well you guys all put examples out there, and also I am looking at your helpful diagram and getting myself confused with the upside down letters. I will still try though.
Evil? - English
Does this work? I looked at the epoch/bee example.

Yeah, that’s fine by me c:

And ofc letter-transmission is still allowed as well, eg. to aerial.

villa (Italian)

Llama

mandibles (English)

estudiante spanish

1 Like

antecedit (it precedes) – Latin

This is honestly cool and I like to read over the post I’m replying too. Very poetic to me, in an erratic sense. Or in the sense of errata. I dunno. It’s just cool. I’m impressed.

2 Likes

Pronunciation fascinates me, forgive me if I keep this going. Just to clarify my previous points:

1. My first point was that I was actually taught the Classical (and at the time still far from being accepted) pronunciation of -ae as a /ae/, not as /aɪ/. I wonder if regional differences played a role—my teachers were Italians, not English native speakers.

2. The second point was that the (then) “standard” Latin pronunciation of -ae (and -oe as well) was taught to me as /e:/ and I do believe (please correct me if I’m wrong), that this is still the case for the majority of Latin active speakers (i.e., mostly, the people in the Vatican)

I was surprised to see neither options listed—and Ia m actually curious to see if my surprise is just a function of my age, the country where I was schooled, or both. Or something else, possibly

2 Likes

Sorry, what sound is /ae/?

If I’m allowed to stretch the rules a bit:

dis donc (a great French expression that may mean almost anything, like “Oh, come on”, or “you’re nuts” “amazing” and so on (literally “say then”). Two words, but really just one indivisible expression

1 Like

Otherwise, let’s stick to the rules:

dithyrambus (German, the ancient Greek poetic form, may be English as well?)

1 Like

Sorry, I’m out of touch with the IPA. I meant two sounds: /a/ followed by /e/ (or /e:/)> I no longer remember if you’re supposed to write them as /ae/ or as /a/ /e/

2 Likes

Now I don’t know what word to go onto.

OK, so I think we have our list of interpretations:

1. Classical: /aɪ/
  2. Continental: /eɪ/
  3. English: /i:/
  4. Italian-Classical /a/-/e/
  5. English: /ə/ (I think this is just used in place names)

Also note that in some English words ae became pronounced /e/ in middle position. But it was also being spelt “e” as well.

1 Like

I’ll make a ruling that dithyrambus is on the board.

I’ll have English bustard.