Undo Auto Agree and Minus Score -1?

One boring thing:

When ur opponent undo, u have to agree or refuse.

• U are thinking about Go, about the board, about the stones.
  • But when ur opponent undo, u have to think about ur opponent, about humanity, about society, about biology, about Earth, about spacetime, about blahblah.

I hear that under ING Go rule, u have time even when timeout, and the cost is ur score. So, minus score to add time, why not minus score to add undo?

compare it with numbers in that topic:
https://forums.online-go.com/t/worst-moves-ever/29258

2 Likes

I’m sure you will survive this ordeal.

2 Likes

Minus Score -1

Then maybe add an undo bargaining tool to let players negociate how many points a particular undo would cost.

6 Likes

Bargaining is a great idea… but I think it does not fix the problem:

Now blahblah becomes negotiations and blahblah :grin:

4 Likes

Could do like in backgammon, if you accept undo and still win, you get a double victory

4 Likes

I wouldn’t play with this rule. To my mind either undo is allowed and free of cost or not allowed and sorry you just have to live with whatever you played.

But with that said, I’m all for having it as another option in the OGS cockpit

2 Likes

While we’re at it, maybe include conditional bargaining as well?
If you want to undo to play at A instead, the price is 1 point. But if you’re going to play at B instead, the price is 31 points + 10 minutes time reduction.

You just get +1 morality point

2 Likes

To my mind either undo is allowed and free of cost or not allowed and sorry you just have to live with whatever you played.

• But undo is inevitable. I’m on phone most times, phone screen is small, I click at wrong vertex sometime.
  • Even international titles, undo is inevitable, e.g. Shin Jinseo need to undo in the game against Ke Jie during Samsung Cup 2020.
    needundo

Every game is full of many blunders. Very often a misclick alone does not determine the winner. Rest assured, neither you nor any of your opponents are Shin Jinseo.

1 Like

Very often a misclick alone does not determine the winner.

Very often? Really? It depends on where and when the blunder happens. Opening and Ending maybe less importance, but middle definitely vital for sure.

Eh, maybe. I’d be curious to see how often a misclick was even the biggest mistake a user made that game.

I’m also inclined to believe an endgame misclick has greater potential to decide a game, as in the mid game there is still time to work around the new position.

Sometimes in kyu games misclicks are actually better than the move that was intended :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If you are on mobile, and misclick a lot, I recommend you switch to “Click Submit Button” mode. That’s what I do, and I (almost) never misclick.

As for the the Shin Jinseo game… did Ke Jie allow him to undo? Was Ke even allowed to allow Shin to undo?

3 Likes

You can still because in my case i had to scroll to reach that submit button, and then did some weird moves on the board.

And if we were playing a friendly game I would grant you that undo with no issues at all and no need to penalize you in any way.

If we were playing in a serious formal tournament with prize money on the line, undo becomes inappropriate - as in the case of Shin Jinseo.

Introducing a points penalty seems more like a go variant. In that case perhaps something like this:

Undo (Minus 1 point)
Undo 2 moves (Minus 4 points)
Call AI (Minus 10 points)
Move stone (Minus 15 points)
Play all 4 1,1 points and Tengen (Plus 5 points)
etc…

1 Like

There was no undo in SJS vs Keijie game.

Do whatever you want, grant or refuse the undo. No need to add on any special rules to complicate things.

As for you often misclick, just don’t.

3 Likes

Even between friends undo can become problematic
Who is going to win? The last who asked for undo?

But undo is inevitable. I’m on phone most times, phone screen is small, I click at wrong vertex sometime.

I say sometime, but people here say me often misclick, what horrible hell the ogs forum is?

The idea of negotiating a cost of undo is laughable, given even asking for an undo is impossible on your turn and asking in the chat often fails with problems like people not looking at chat, speaking a different language etc. Allow undo request on your move

1 Like