Western Server Challenge 2024

I never thought of myself as much of a blitz player, but so far I’ve ranked up from 1d to around 4d. Granted, the vast majority of my games were handicap games against lower-ranked players, but even so it’s not so easy to come up with reasonable ideas under time pressure. At this rank I expect to struggle in my 19x19 games, though - especially the even games…

5 Likes

You were the winner last two years. What happened this year

I kept an eye on them and now I know how they work.
Yes, once closed they do not come back. I mean does not come back on the upper right side. They come in the middle, and here are some options for banning them.

BUT, I have no issues with the middle page announcements. They stay there clean not covering anything else. The only thing that bothered me was those popping out on the upper right side, and which remain open even after I start a game. If they would go away once the game is started everything will be fine. But they stay there covering my clock. And this is why they are annoying. Anyway, the 6 hour limit is self sabotaging, because nobody logs 4 times a day, So for sure three quarters of the players are excluded from seeing the ad. I see simple solutions to avoid this. One I mentioned it. Just close them once the game starts. Or move it on a empty space. Sure, this is done on purpose to be sure that you notice it, but… there must be a balance. As Go players we learn the value of balance. And on the home page the ad should stay more time.

In am absolutely sure that this was extensively debated somewhere, and it is not my intention to force my ideas . I just presented them maybe somehow nobody saw them, even for me are crystal clear now. I have said my point of view, and for me the subject is closed now.

1 Like

Just finished my trifecta.

the three sections are now with over 100 games.

and my last 19x19 game ended with a funny kill.

I see that nobody bragged with an interesting game till now.

I will be the first one to do it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I completed 100 9x9.
Next target 13x13

3 Likes

nvm, it did update

I completed 13x13 too.

65 19x19 left.

If i complete, i will possibly be only one to complete all three years.

In all format, one has completed. Max 4 to 5 will complete in all formats may be. I will barely manage as i cant play till 21st

1 Like

Yea. I am 65 19x19 left. 4 more people on the way

1 Like

So I finished my 9x9 section. Blitz was quite tough for me having to calculate an outcome in 10 seconds but I feel like I’ve made a little progress with my fighting skills nonetheless.
Thanks for organizing the challenge it motivates me to play on OGS!
Good luck to everyone still finishing and to the people going for all three board sizes, that’s an insane effort!

3 Likes

That is a funny kill. I’ve always found the folding up/connecting into a capture move quite satisfying. though it doesn’t happen very often, especially when playing against much higher ranked people.

1 Like

So I’ve completed over 100 games in each of the three categories. The results page hasn’t updated my games yet for the day, so hopefully it does soon. But it sure was a fun challenge playing all three board sizes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mine either.
Obviously the script got stuck.
It used to update twice an hour.

For me, it happened that I just changed my OS, due some weird and annoying behavior.
Played a couple of games, but forgot the Chinese setting. The default remained there.
Seeing the same number of games I assumed that is because of Japanese setting.
Few games later I realized that Shawn has some computer problems.
Let hope that is something easy to fix.

3 Likes

I finished my 9x9 more than 10 days ago. Today I look at the results again. The count decreased from 100 to 99. I played one more 9x9 game just now, hoping it will become 100 again and will never mysteriously decrease again so I won’t lose my badge.

3 Likes

The server has updated. So far,

• 2 people have completed the challenge in three categories
  • 4 people have completed the challenge in two categories
  • 7 people have completed the challenge in one category.
3 Likes

Done! I’ll stop blitz games for now, enough binge-playing, but good luck to those who still have a few games left before completing the challenge.

3 Likes

Whew, finished the grand slam. Takeaways:

• Gave up on the automatch button a couple weeks in. Even with this event, it was just too hard to get games.
  • I’m consistently about 2 or 3 stones stronger on small boards vs. 19x19. I posted a thread about it already, but OGS should fully segment the ratings by board size.
  • In particular, my 19x19 openings are dog $#!^…
  • 19x19 blitz is exhausting. I enjoyed the fast pace on other board sizes.

I had lots of interesting games, but this one against the one and only aguilar stands out in my memory:

I managed to secure a winning position, but sadly ran out of time. I don’t think it’s easy to convert the advantage though, so I’m not sure I would have pulled it off even if I had kept it going. Also, I missed a cool tesuji half way through.

4 Likes

I’ve been having fun playing custom small-board games with NZ rules. Didn’t experience a single scoring glitch or any bad experiences with other players for all 100+ games. One unfortunate thing I did observe is that most people don’t notice when they get handicap stones, so they play one then sit there waiting for their 5 minute timer to run out.

While I’ll probably do a few more 13x13s before the contest is over, I’m going to be satisfied just qualifying in the 9x9 division.

Especially after playing this handicap 3 game to a tie!

3 Likes

I did make a effort to use automatch every time, however it often took more than 10 minutes to get a game, so I usually did something else while waiting like writing emails, playing moves in correspondence games or reviewing the previous blitz game.
Although my settings were “prefer handicap, up to 9 stones”, I rarely played with more than 1 handicap stone, people generally canceled the game when they saw several handicap stones.

2 Likes

54 games left, hope I can finish the rest in time ^^

4 Likes

Happy Easter everyone!

2 Likes