Western Server Challenge Mar 2022 -- $1,000 in Prizes

Kay, thanks

2 Likes

Hello, how do we check that we registered ? Thank you !

2 Likes

I’m working on a list that will display all the users.

If you are not on it you can still register until the end of the month and your games will still be counted.

5 Likes

Results posted above! And here…

13 Likes

Dark mode maybe?

2 Likes

Hello! Thank you very much for this initiative, I find it very fun and exciting.

I want to participate to compete in the Rengo division. Could you explain to me how it works?
I just have to play Rengo and it will count automatically?
What about the normal games I play during the month of March? Would they be added to the Rengo category?
Do Rengo games have a minimum and maximum limit of players?

I hope I have been clear with my questions (sorry, I use the google translate)

Thank you very much!

I think the event will need to be split between live and correspondence next time it happens. I’m not trying to blame anyone or devalue the effort, but playing live only and averaging 30 minutes per game, so 2 games an hour, starting on the 1st of march GMT+0 time, one would only be able to play 232 games as of now, assuming they have slept zero minutes since, and assuming the game pops immediately. It’s impossible to compete with a correspondence player who’s clocked even more than that as of now (283 according to the page above). Once again, not that I’m trying to compete, just pointing out that it’s mathematically impossible.

2 Likes

You didn’t read this post:

5 Likes

The message quoted by @jlt explains it well, but I would like to reiterate that in less than 5 days I played 174 live games and that I did not play 24 hours a day.
And, by the way, 31x24x2=1488

4 Likes

I see. It never occurred to me to play simuls this way. It’s a tough call then whether it’s within the spirit of the challenge since it degrades the quality of the games, but it’s not for me to judge.

3 Likes

I asked Clossius if it was ok to play simultaneous games and he said “yes” so the question stops there I guess :slight_smile: And I’m not the only one who does this.
As I said in the other thread, I don’t think my level gets much worse and sometimes I even won by time against people that are playing only one game. It’s not much different from what I’m used to do normally (blitzing through correspondence). If it’s later decided that they don’t count, ok. I think I can win in my division anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Any games on the 19x19 with the Rengo setting will get counted.

Since you cannot play a Ranked Rengo game, Ranked and Rengo games are counted seperatley.

All the games you play in March are looked at for both Ranked rules and Rengo rules.

3 Likes

I have added the Rengo count to the results page.

5 Likes

You said you will declare winner in 4 category. Please do so

Please also check how no 1 has played 230 games in 5 days.

Is he admin?

1 Like

It’s 🐬Sofiam🐬 (or me). We played some games together.
I’m an OGS moderator but my result is legit, you can check.

3 Likes

4 Likes

It’s a challenge about quantity, not quality.
For the hardcore ones, it’s interesting to see how you balance between corr. and live games. And how deep you can lose levels (and then stay or not in a category). Sophiam is stronger IRL according to her EGF rating vs here blitzing. If she played at her EGF level, she would be in the first category, not the second one. (I’m not criticizing btw, it’s all legit)
Note there is a bias here as the categories bars leave different margin to stay by players. Better not be just up the upper bar. Best ranking when starting is indeed strong dan, 4k and 10k (and worst 3k and 9k) if you want to stay in the same cat. Not that it matters that much as rewards are same.

4 Likes

We just passed 3,000 games played :smiley:

12 Likes

Would it be possible to see on the results page players ranks? Or to have it broken down into the categories players are in?

2 Likes

Sofium, You are very strong player. You are a moderator too. How do you maintain 5k rank? Are you ending games prematurely? Can someone check your games? You started the game with me like almost a dan player.

2 Likes