When was the last time you had fun playing go?

Pretty much the title…

3 Likes

I have to admit, it’s been a couple of weeks, probably… :confused:

5 minutes ago.

7 Likes

Bruh, nothing better then crushing noobs!

2 Likes

3 games ago. I stress too much on rank sometimes.

2 Likes

I play at least 1 game every day. Although it pisses me off when I lose and that I am still very far from 1 dan which is my goal, I enjoy every single game.

Weiqi is life-consuming…

4 Likes

Ranks on OGS are completely useless, play ranked until you have the rank that you nonimally have (EGF, AGA, BGA…) and then only play unranked games.

1 Like

I’m not trying to rank up, I just like playing, but I once again fell into the trap of getting too many correspondence games going, and not having the priority at the moment to play Go…

3 Likes

My nominal rank is from three years ago, because there are not many ranked tournaments in my country and few players around my level (between 15kyu and 1dan).
Do you think OGS rank is useless for tracking development, or how do you mean?

I only play ranked games, because at my level (15k), people might not take it seriously if it’s an unranked game. So I guess they are useful for that. I don’t have an official rank though…
I try to challenge people on the ladders that are either my rank, or 2 stones stronger (max). This keeps the games interesting, without me getting crushed right at the beginning.

2 Likes

Tbh I don’t take ranked games seriously either, I just want to have fun.

1 Like

Well yeah, I’m not gonna lose sleep over an OGS game, but I don’t want people to start throwing around non-sense moves and losing based on decisions that they knew were bad (but still did it because “meh I’m bored”).
Unfortunately, I can’t spend all my day playing Go. Got to make that free time enjoyable. :slight_smile:

It is too volatile. One day you are 11 k, the next day you are 5 k. If you have a losing streak you easily lose 4 stones.

Two years ago, I went to Japan with a friend to play at the International Amateur Pair Go Championship.

We were very low ranked, so we didn’t really expect much. Indeed we lost all games, however, the penultimate game against Lithuania became really interesting. They made some greedy mistakes, which we were able to cash in, and then my partner started making several good moves in a row. It was pretty exciting, I felt really proud of her for that game.

Anyway, we lost, but it was great.

10 Likes

Never. As I explained in another thread a while back, I don’t think go is fun. It is too hard to be fun. However, it is intensely interesting.

If I want fun, I will play Chinese checkers or two-handed pinochle. Back in the day, I thought it was great fun to jump into a 2-mile all-comers race on an 11-lap, banked board track just 10 minutes after finishing a hard 10-mile run. I guess I just have a weird sense of fun.

7 Likes

Last April - it was tough making an early mistake, trudging uphill, and still losing, but I remember being excited for parts of it.

At this point, I do a lot more AI / game review type study and writing about Go than actually playing it.

2 Likes

Last night. I have to politely disagree with the following.

The fact that it is “hard” is exactly what makes it fun. Not to wax lyrical for too long, but I think it’s quite common to associate ‘fun’ only with things that are banal and simple - and I think that’s a shame. To me, there’s nothing more fun than a challenging task - so long as the stakes aren’t too high ^^.

10 Likes

These days, I have fun every game, even though I get beaten a lot. Things that can help are:

1. Be in the right mental shape for the game: avoid being too tired, dehydrated, or caffeine-stimulated
  2. Play with people you know, with whom you can have a bit of convo and review the game
8 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. Problem is however that most people associate fun " only with things that are banal and simple". So fun may not be the correct word in this context.
Maybe When was the last time you had a truly satisfied and content feeling when playing go? would be a better option.
Rephrasing the question like this would probably cause @Conrad_Melville to come up with a different answer :grin:

6 Likes

Lately I particularily enjoy trying out all kinds of variants of Go on the Variant Go Server.

My local Go club meets every wednesday. Every time is fun and we often play rengo, talk and make jokes. This past year we switched to online meetings and tried out other variants too. One person seems to enjoy the 3- and 4-color version so much that he even asked me if we can buy stones of other colors so we can play after the pandemic :smile:

If variants of Go don’t count, I have a couple of correspondence games going that are interesting and fun.

So I’m having lots of fun playing go, but I particularily enjoy playing go while also having a nice conversation with people.

4 Likes