WORDLE 🟩⬛🟨🟩🟨

answer to yebellz about yesterday

I couldn’t solve it, I also had found satyr by searching for it, and didn’t manage to get the other three words to work…

Daily Crosswordle: 1m 19s Crosswordle: Sudoku meets Wordle

:yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

1 Like

Hard Wordle today.

Wordle 240 4/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:

Path

lemur
shack
topic
cynic

It took me a long time after shack to find a word that had 1) all different letters 2) a C 3) none of L, E, M, U, R, S, H, A, K. I know I didn’t need to guess all different, but that’s the most efficient way.

The Latin Wordle was frustrating. There was no skill involved in the endgame, since it came down to guessing a single letter, which I got wrong four times. Sure, the solution was a more common word than my guesses, but I’m still annoyed.

You don’t get a share button if you lose, so I had to diy.

:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::green_square:
:green_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:

Path

picae (magpies, nom.)
malis (apple trees, dat. / abl.)
altis (high / deep, dat. / abl.)
albis (white, dat. / abl.)
alvis (stomach, dat. / abl.)
algis (seaweed, dat. abl.)

The solution was aliis, the dat. and abl. of “others”.

I can’t even come up with another five letter word, in any language, which you could alter by the same letter four times and produce five valid variations.

2 Likes

Are you playing the Latin Wordle in “hard mode” (or is that not even a choice)? If not, a strategy to maximize probability of winning (as opposed to going for the shortest path) is to guess a word that is not consistent with the previous hints, but would simultaneously check the presence of multiple letters, which would reduce possibilities to guess in the remaining.

1 Like

Nice idea! Not sure if there’s a hard mode, never looked for it.

1 Like

Lunch
Punch
Bunch
Munch
Hunch

Now can someone find six? :wink:

3 Likes

Found
Round
Hound
Bound
Mound
Sound
Wound

Can someone find 8?

3 Likes

Nice! We should make a Pedantle game.

2 Likes

In Dutch:

Dagen
Hagen
Jagen
Lagen
Magen
Vagen
Wagen
Zagen

2 Likes

Kind of cheating, because wordle doesn’t have plurals iirc:

Boles
Roles
Poles
Soles
Doles
Holes
Voles
Moles

(also used a dictionary to find “bole”)

3 Likes

It does have plurals, I’ve started with “homes” before.

1 Like

Right, I meant plurals can’t be solutions, so making all those guesses in a row wouldn’t make sense

2 Likes

I often use teams (or meats or steam, depending on my mood).

I didn’t know that plurals were not in the solutions. I guess these plural guesses could still be useful for strategic purposes.

Chessle 2 (Normal) 5/6
:yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

I was surprised that I got this so easily. I have virtually zero knowledge of chess openings, and just found it by eliminating things and guessing what seemed reasonable.

Wordle 240 5/6
:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::blue_square::orange_square::black_large_square::blue_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::blue_square::blue_square::black_large_square:
:orange_square::orange_square::orange_square::orange_square::orange_square:

Josekle #14

:purple_circle::white_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:purple_circle::white_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::white_circle:
:purple_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::purple_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::white_circle::purple_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle:

Daily Crosswordle: 58s Crosswordle - Sudoku meets Wordle
:yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square:

:palm_down_hand::microphone:

2 Likes

I think I’d need a lot of luck to get close to 1 minute :sweat_smile:

Daily Crosswordle: 3m 59s Crosswordle: Sudoku meets Wordle

My solution

TECHY
PLOTS
BUILT
FAULT

I entered BUILT and PLOTS pretty quickly, but then the top word was really hard to find. Backtracking feels so bad when under time pressure…

Does everyone work from bottom to top? Are there some good heuristics to think about when choosing the bottom words to leave more options for the top ones?

1 Like

Hey, I found three variant sets.

bones, cones, hones, tones, zones

boned, coned, honed, toned, zoned

boner, coner, honer, loner, toner, zoner

No, I don’t understand what a coner - Wiktionary is either.

2 Likes

I think it’s interesting to consider the concept of “luck” in a fully deterministic puzzle game where all of the hints are laid out at the beginning. The original Wordle certainly involves significant luck, given the interactive nature of guessing and hints, but Crosswordle gives everything up front. However, maybe a “hidden” aspect is which obscure words are accepted as input.

However, I fully understand what you mean by feeling lucky, especially in light of how I believe most people (including myself) would solve these, that is, working from bottom to top (as you say). It seems tough to look at the entire grid as a whole and jointly work out a set of consistent words, but by working from bottom to top, we can wind up getting stuck by choosing some bad initial words that eliminate too many letters, making it much harder to fill in the top words. So, one might have to backtrack, which feels unlucky.

Usually, I just end up choosing what first comes to mind, but I like to use less common or double letters in the bottom rows, to make it easier to later work out the top rows.

My Crosswordle Solution

UPPER
CLOUD
GUILT
FAULT

Besides @bugcat’s original Latin examples, the other sets posted all were of the form of changing the first letter across a variety of consonants. Somehow that seems easier, since there are these common word forms/sounds that are reused.

Are there some more examples that involve changing a letter other than the first? Any that work across several consonants and vowels for the letter being switched?

1 Like

I think I can tie Anton and Vsotvep’s Pedantle set lengths of eight.

word meaning
bayer something that bays, like a dog
dayer eg. a “three-dayer event”
gayer more gay
hayer someone who gathers hay
layer obvious
payer someone who pays
sayer someone who says
wayer eg. a “Third-Wayer”
3 Likes

bends, fends, lends, mends, rends, sends, tends, wends

3 Likes