WORDLE 🟩⬛🟨🟩🟨

“Today I learnt that humans can communicate like dogs, with only variations of bark.”

Eighteen words.

word meaning
back obvious
cack squark, discordant note; sh*t; to kill
dack (Australia) to pull down someone’s trousers; to pants
fack (UK) rumen (a cow stomach); f*ck
gack onomatopoeia, especially of a cat coughing up a hairball
hack obvious
jack fairly obvious
kack variation of cack
lack obvious
mack to flirt, to p*mp; mackintosh
nack (networking) to send a negative (NAK) signal
pack obvious
rack obvious
sack obvious
tack obvious
wack wacky
yack to chat
zack (Australia) sixpence; five cents; six month prison sentence
2 Likes

Very good. I missed “vends”. I did think of “pends” but suspected that the verb is basically only found in the form “pending”.

1 Like

D’oh! Those were four letter words!

Invalid Pedanticle!

2 Likes

Maybe it is a bit informal, but I think “pends” is sometimes used like a contraction of “depends”, and is related to “pending”, which seems to be indicated by Wikitionary:

“Pend” is also an obscure noun (which can be pluralized as “pends”).

Maybe as neologism (let’s just invent this right here and now), we could use “pend(s)” as an abbreviation for “pedant(s)”. It’s a bit odd to move the “n” before the “d” for the abbreviation, but who cares, it’s not like English has any firm rules.

Go is a game of luck: the more I practice, the luckier I get.

:wink:

3 Likes

I’ve found one five-series which doesn’t alter the first letter, if we allow a Middle English form.

piped, pipen (M.E. to pipe), piper, pipes, pipet (pipette)

Perhaps we can even also have pipin’ and bring it to six.

Here’s another one, this time legit:

shack, slack, smack, snack, stack

1 Like

From the comments:

4 Likes

Wordle wouldn’t give me a share popup today. Both my Latin and English games were led by oranges.

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

Path

syrup, ranch, glare, armor, aroma

Latin Wordle 45 5/6

:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:

Path

This game shows me make a series of pretty amusing errors, which succeed solely by luck.

I wanted to match my guess of syrup on the English Wordle.

I intended to start with melis, which I thought was “of honey” (mel). But that has a doubled consonant: mellis, a possibility I did suspect. However, melis (mēlis) is legitimate as “of a badger” (mēlēs), a fact I wasn’t aware of. I would probably have had melle (in honey) except, again, I couldn’t remember for sure how many Ls it had. As you might have guessed, mele (mēle) is properly “in a badger”.

I looked up “syrup” out of interest. It was the predictable syrupus, with some orthographic variation: it might turn up with a doubled P, or with I instead of Y, eg. siruppus.

I made a pretty weak guess at sucra, thinking that it meant “sugar”, like French sucre. A loanword from Arabic, like syrupus, the Mediaeval term was zuccarum and the New Latin is saccharum, which provided English saccharine.

I was going to try dulcis, “sweet”, but I thought it might have been dulcus in the nom. sg. (it isn’t).

So I ended up using mello. It’s a verb that doesn’t exist in English, “to collect honey”. Unless you wanted to say honey-gather, but that’s a bit ugly.

I was having trouble after mello, so I tried legii, thinking that it was “for the legion (legio)”. That’s legioni. The inflections of legio, which all have an n, are what give us legion after all. Still, legii was marked a valid guess. Wiktionary says it’s the name of a village in Romanian, so perhaps it was in Latin as well. I try not to guess proper nouns, though.

I decided to ignore the L I got and focus on finding the placement of the E, and introducing new letters, so I used pater (father). I got an orange T.

So trying to fix the T down, I went for vecte, which I thought meant “in the whirlpool”. This was especially thick of me since I had the root in my head as vectum, which would have the abl. sg. vecto. In fact, whirlpool is vertex or the more recognisable vortex. In you’re inside a whirlpool then you’re in vertice, and probably having a pretty bad time. Happily for me, though, vecte is the abl. sg. of something: vectis, a carrying pole. So in vecte means “on a carrying pole”.

The last word was unknown to me. I tried the nonsense “bletu” before getting the solution, fletu. It’s the abl. sg. of flētus, “weeping” or “tears”. in fletu can thus mean “in tears”.

PS. After “getting” legii, I tried leper as a nom. sg. with its English meaning. The Latin word is leprosus.

1 Like

Daily Crosswordle: 41s Crosswordle: Sudoku meets Wordle

:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

Pretty fast today, but I hope there will be no mics dropping this time

1 Like

Daily Crosswordle: 3m 1s Crosswordle: Sudoku meets Wordle
:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

Lucky you.

Wordle 241 5/6
:black_large_square::orange_square::blue_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::blue_square::blue_square::black_large_square:
:orange_square::orange_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:orange_square::orange_square::blue_square::blue_square::black_large_square:
:orange_square::orange_square::orange_square::orange_square::orange_square:

Josekle #15

:white_circle::white_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::purple_circle::white_circle:
:white_circle::green_circle::white_circle::purple_circle::white_circle::white_circle::purple_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::white_circle:
:green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle:

I think I read someone suggesting this also with tracking cookies on a stackoverflow, probably prompted by the GDPR question, which I don’t know enough about. But it did also get me curious how they do it.

Wordle 241 3/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

I’m personally not that interested in my Wordle stats. There’s at least a couple of days where someone either spoiled or partially spoiled the word and helped me guess it. One day I tried the NYT site and then checked on the old site to see if it was the same word, so I got it in one.

I would probably care more if OGS wiped all our old ranking stats… oh wait :slight_smile:

That said it did probably copy over those stats somehow, and I’m not sure when. It’s also going to be device/browser specific stats etc too.

1 Like

VERBA 37 3/6

:green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:

A funny shape today!
No yellow at all and three green on second guess.

I watched the 3blue1brown video some days ago and I realised that my strategy was weak: first guesses are more useful if they don’t repeat same letters. It’s so obvious now, but before that I would have kept the first green letter in each following guess.

2 Likes

Wordle 242 4/6

:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:

Path

sloes, liver, tally, caulk

The last jump was tricky.

Latin Wordle 46 6/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:

Path & explanation

I wanted to start with nicti or nicte, which I thought meant “of the snow” and “in the snow”, but neither were valid. Snow is nix. Words with -yx endings decline to -ycis or -ygis in the genitive: so calyx, calycis and oryx, orygis.

-ex endings can become -icis, eg. culex, culicis and pulex, pulicis. But then there’s rex, regis. In the case of nix, the stem is niv-; thus nivi, “of the snow”, and nive, “in the snow”. It’s irregular, I think.

Then I tried to start with maumo, meow. Not accepted. My third attempt to begin the game was tunae, which I’d thought was a plural of tuna, with its English meaning. Nope, the form is thunnus and the plural thunni.

Thinking back on the LLL discussion about aureation, I thought of aurea, as in lingua aurea, “golden language”. The stem is aurum, which is the source of the elemental abbreviation Au.

My next guess was orsum. I’d had it down in my head as web, because someone once told me that most manuscripts of the Aeneid have ursum (bear) where orsum would be expected, or something of that kind. It seems that the nominative is probably orsus, and that “beginning” might be the more common sense.

orbis was obvious, but I found it impossible to push forward from there. I tried a couple of nonsense words, then I fished around twice for more information with longo and dicto, which aren’t too hard to figure out. Having got the T, I was able to play ortos despite having no idea what it meant.

Turns out that ortos is the acc. masc. pl. of ortus, a participle meaning “risen” or “appeared”. So milites ortus vidi, “I watched the risen soldiers”.

1 Like

Wordle 242 4/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::blue_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:orange_square::blue_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:orange_square::black_large_square::blue_square::orange_square::orange_square:

Spoiler

I thought of the answer before the third guess, but some reason thought it was spelt as chaulk, so I guessed chalk instead, even though that was already ruled out by earlier guesses, train and clove, but then I realized how to actually spell caulk for the fourth guess.

I posted my results for today’s puzzle, but then thought perhaps that might be too informative.

Summary

Four letters right on first guess, and then:
Wordle 243 X/6

:green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:

2 Likes

ok wow this one was lucky

Wordle 243 2/6*

:green_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:

1 Like

Wordle 243 4/6
:black_large_square::black_large_square::orange_square::black_large_square::orange_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::orange_square::black_large_square::orange_square:
:orange_square::orange_square::orange_square::black_large_square::orange_square:

Spoiler

Wow, it looks like @Verrius inadvertently found another Pendantle set.

1. shade
  2. shake
  3. shale
  4. shame
  5. shape
  6. share
  7. shave

I don’t think any other than these seven would be accepted by Wordle, so it seems very unlucky to not get it in 6 guesses.

2 Likes

Daily Crosswordle 29: 5m 47s Crosswordle: Sudoku meets Wordle

:yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square:

Took me so long because I choose unlucky letters for the third guess… Once I had the right first letter, I got to the solution in no time…

1 Like

Daily Crosswordle 29: 3m 3s Crosswordle: Sudoku meets Wordle

:yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square:

Wordle 244 4/6

:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:

Latin Wordle 48 5/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square:

Explanation

I started with bruma, winter. Then lotus, which was easy. This gave me –tu- in green.

With a green –tu-, I was pretty sure that the word would end in -ui, which a verb form or a dative singular. After grinding a few combinations I got situi, which is the dative singular of situs, site.

Because of the two oranges, I knew I was looking for istu-, despite having no idea what I was looking for. In Latin, u at the end of a word is usually followed (if by anything) by S or M, or I, and if not by them then by X. Sometimes there’s a C, like in illuc (to there) or a D, like in apud (at), but that’s quite rare.

So I tried istuc and then istud, and the latter was correct. But what do they mean? Well, one of the senses of istuc is as the nom. neut. sg. of “that ___ of yours”. eg. istuc theatrum, “that theatre of yours”.

istud has similar meanings, including “that one”. When choosing something of the neuter gender from a shop, then, like a malum (apple) or pirum (pear) the traveller might be advised to say istud! ("that one!). But a piscis (fish) would take the masculine iste, and some castaneae (chestnuts) would take the feminine plural istae, etc.

2 Likes