Worst Moves Ever

Was a good idea to link the game as the pic is a bit like white mushrooms in a cave (could be due to my dark screen settings too). Just in case you will post more later.
Edit: thanks for the change.

1 Like

Filing dame really is the most deadly in most cases, especially after a long game

This is one of the less obvious self-atari semeai

7 Likes

A good example that when your opponent is trying shenanigans inside your territory where they don’t have enough space to live, you should focus on fixing your own weaknesses rather than trying to capture them.

2 Likes

I have no excuse here, I thought my move worked too. -141

19 Likes

It qualifies as “worst move ever” by the consequences but to say that you have no excuse… That could be selected for a go problem book.

That’s a tricky read… I could see myself making that mistake in a game…

1 Like

I couldn’t see it either :slightly_frowning_face:

So in the game did you both misread the ladder?

4 Likes

Any opponent’s stone(s) in the 6 lines of the ladder path should raise a red flag immediately, and extra reading is always necessary if they are on the outside 4 lines. And if opponent’s stone(s) is “ahead” in the path than your stones (even on the side lines), it usually can break the ladder.
圖片

8 Likes

Warning is good and then although we would like some tricks for ladders (like deplacing the starting of the ladder and such) nothing can replace the reading. Black white black… Well not from me but from Kageiyama “lessons in fundamentals.”

3 Likes

The ladder in Sofiam’s game was easy to read, both players probably didn’t pay attention. On the other hand, I find that ladders like this are hard to read: Black to play.

See Turnaround ladder at Sensei's Library

5 Likes

It may be easy to read, but it’s just as easy to misread :wink:

6 Likes

-114, then, luckily, I noticed that aji before my opponent (blitz game in multitasking mode :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

One of the most amazing score graphs I’ve ever seen:

6 Likes

Funny how that cliff isn’t picked as one of the top 3 mistakes. Presumably as it goes on percentage change not points.

3 Likes

2018-03-25 毒奶菇 vs LeelaZero

https://home.yikeweiqi.com/#/history/board/4547357

6 Likes

I was about to win this game +22, then I played this -26-point dame:

My opponent filled the false eye, I took another dame, they passed… only then did I notice the problem and fixed it:

Phew.

14 Likes

Game in progress, so please don’t suggest moves.

My opponent was wrong about a ladder. I’m white.

When he realised that the ladder was safe, he played away and we continued the game.
Then he came back to that ladder

But I acted as if that group of stones was alive. I completely forgot about the ladder and played elsewhere.

Of course he killed my ladder. :man_facepalming:
Now I can’t wait to see how many points I lost with that move. But I don’t want to resign yet, so I have to wait.

7 Likes

Yep!
I think that’s my personal best: 88 points!

7 Likes

This is by far the worst move (according to KataGo analysis of score lost) that I’ve ever encountered in one of my games.

Amazingly, it was made by my opponent and I still lost!

6 Likes

I don’t see “Points loss” as a good measure of “Worst move” though it is obviously a good measure of where the game was won or lost. A better measure of “worst move” would be how obvious the mistake was. That ofc would be harder to quantify. Suggestions on how anyone?

I don’t find this amazing. It’s not uncommon for both players to overlook the same thing, kind of my point.

2 Likes