Your "play signature", the moves you prefer

We all have moves that we prefer over others for reasons of style, or aesthetics, or simply habit.

I wondered how these move choices differ in regard to rank and when one began playing.

Here are merely some ideas I had of pollable positions – feel free to add others with their own numbers.

For each position, specify A if you almost always play A, B if you almost always play B, AB if you play both A and B often, Ab if mainly A, Ba if mainly B, O if neither A or B are your usual move, and X if you have no opinion.

Black is always to play.

Chat is of course encouraged.

(My preferences in these first 15 always contain A because that’s how I configured the options.)

1. image

2. image

3. image

4. image

5. image

6. image

7. image

8. image

9. image

10. image

11. image

12. image

13. image

14. image

15. image

No. bugcat GreenAsJade gennan martin3141 Aesalon Gia Vsotvep next name…
OGS rank 3k 10k 3d 4d 3d 21k 4k
playing start 2016 2018 1988 2009 2010 2018(?) 2015
1 A Ab A A A A A
2 A A A A A AB A
3 Ab A Ob Ba Ob OA Oa
4 A A Ab Ab A B AB
5 AB Ab Ab A Ab A A
6 A A A Ba Ab B A
7 A A A A Ab OA A
8 A A Ab AB B B Ba
9 Ab A Ab Ab A A A
10 Ab A AO A X B Ab
11 A A Ab Ab Ab O Oab
12 AB Oa AB Ba X A Oa
13 A ? B Ba X X X
14 Ab A Ao AB Oa A O
15 A A A Ab B X A
4 Likes

rank 3d
name gennan
start 1988
1 A
2 A
3 Ob
4 Ab
5 Ab
6 A
7 A
8 Ab
9 Ab
10 AO
11 Ab
12 AB
13 B
14 Ao
15 A

Several of my answers would have been different 10 years ago.

1 Like

Oh, I forgot to make a wikipost!

Would you mind entering it into the OP table?

1 Like

Winning move is my signature one, except I don’t play enough. :crazy_face:

I’ll do that tomorrow.

If you want the results to be conclusive, ideally you want to avoid influencing the test subjects choice in any way. The introduction already tells the reader something about your preference bugcat. Additionally the resulting data is visible for the reader as well. For these reasons I’m hesitant to insert my data.

But its an interesting idea.

1 Like

I was more simply interested than trying to conduct a rigorous experiment.

1 Like

I entered my data. At position 6 I assumed that a pincer was in place along the upper side (personally I would not play the kick in the corner on an almost empty board). In that case the keima puts more pressure on white.

The kick in the corner can also be good if black wants to settle quickly, in wich case option A makes more sense.

As so often it strongly depends on the rest of the board.

1 Like

For position 6 I assumed no pincer in place. The kick and jump (A) is just a new AI joseki to take the corner profit and prevent white’s pressing move (hopefully in sente).

I assumed that no other stones were present in the quadrant (up to the mid lines of the board), except for position 14, where there should be a white stone on the 4th line on the upper side (otherwise this joseki would be a mistake in direction by white).

And for positions 12 and 13 I assumed the ladders are good for the side that has the 4-4 stone.

2 Likes

Already some interesting data.

Some things I notice:

• Only lowest-ranked player GaJ considers 1. B
  • 2 A. is unanimous
  • Only GaJ doesn’t consider 3. B, and only the kyus prefer A
  • The dans are open to 4. B and the kyus are not
  • Only highest-ranked player martin doesn’t consider 5. B
  • Only martin considers 6. B
  • 7 A is unanimous
  • Only the dans consider 8. B
  • Only GaJ doesn’t consider 9. B
  • The dans are open to 11. B; the kyus are not
  • Only martin prefers 12. B
  • Only the dans consider 13. B
  • Only martin plays 15. B

Deviation appears to be typically

1. In either the lowest- or highest-ranked player
  2. Between the dans and the kyus

Now that I think about it, I do play the slide 11. B sometimes.

When I do, my intention is usually to avoid this result as White:

When comparing the slide to the attachment, I often say to myself:

1. If I attach, can I tolerate this sealing line?

2. If I slide and 13. is played, do I have the ladder from A?

From the current data, higher ranked players seem to be more flexible and open to different options (depending on the whole board), while lower ranked players seem to be more fixed to one line of play.

Are lower ranked players more dogmatic or is it just that they have less knowlegde of joseki variations? Perhaps both?

1 Like

B
B
A
B
B
A
A
A
B
B
B
B
B
A
A

Won’t let me post without writing a sentence

No it’s just fundamentally flawed to ask like this, because joseki are only “locally” considered here.

A lot of the differences can probably be explained by either “im more familiar with this joseki so I’ll go with it” or that we each made different assumptions about the whole board state.

A lot of these joseki are “do you want the inside or outside” and in a real game one is more preferable to the other depending on the entire board position. So for this, I just went with whatever seemed more fun/Interesting. I typically went with the lighter play and the options that gave more cuts.

It would make more sense for a “you have sente, and there are several big moves on the board. Where do you play?” Styled quiz over this if you want to draw conclusions from it.

In my opinion a question can’t be fundamentally flawed. (Drawing conclusions can be flawed though, of course)

3 Likes

True, but he intended to get a certain “conclusion” from the start. He wanted to see “personality” come out through different joseki.

I’d rephrase what I said as “the question asked is unlikely to give the desired results” for clarity.

1 Like

Isn’t this why we had the option of AB Ab Ba etc … saying “in some circumstance I know that global considerations would make me chose this other one”?

1 Like

But then most of the answers willl just be “depends on the board”, which doesn’t really give insight on playing style.

“What else could affect the answers we choose?”

“Is there another way to find out play style”?

“How would I determine play style? Would I get different results from bugcat?”

There’s a lot of things to ask when trying to set up data collection from humans and draw a conclusion. I’m not trying to discourage this kind of thing, but I want to be sure we can use the results in a meaningful way.

I guess there is some sort of lesson here: I know that there are board configurations where B seems more preferrable to me, I need to reconsider this in the light of knowing that Dans don’t expect this to be the case!

Yeah I definitely won’t go near nadare. Since A is “escape from nadare” that is what I will chose.

The thing is, I couldn’t remember ever facing a 5-3 opening (unless maybe Kosh did it to me perhaps, now that I think about it?) and so A seemed more solid and “corners first” hence basic instinct, that’s all.

GaJ

2 Likes

Actually, I went with those options too. So the “only GaJ does X” no longer applies.

Always good to wait till you have a statistically significant amount of data before you start trying to draw conclusions…

2 Likes