Beep on game start

Please could there be a beep when the game starts?

3 Likes

Please donā€™t intentionally create new posts about topics you know are already being discussed elsewhere. This is considered spam.

1 Like

To be fair; The thread that clanger7 is quoting has been automatically closed so he canā€™t add his voice there.

I know itā€™s been discussed elsewhere. I found these:
Can the game start notif plz make a sound?,
Audio cue when the quick match finder finds a match,
Suggestion: Alert when automatch real-time game has begun,
All of which are still open to further comment.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve submitted a PR for this, just waiting for it to be approved/deployed.

4 Likes

Current web standards (and indeed, most often the browsers themselves) prevent background tabs from playing sounds or bringing a tab from the back to the front. Itā€™s an effort to prevent ads from grabbing focus.

It is possible for background tabs to give browser notifications and we have that as an item on our to-do list.

3 Likes

Are you saying that ā€œthe reason why this PR is taking its time to be approved is that it violates web standardsā€?

As far as I know, the implementation is compliant with current standards, and it certainly works on the browsers I testedā€¦

I was talking about it with @anoek the other day and he mentioned that the cutting edge web standards are going to do away with the ability for browsers to behave this way.

1 Like

Yeah ā€¦ from the point of view of a developer trying to support users, itā€™s a complete PITA, the way these things are unfolding, you canā€™t count on being able to do anything today, because it might be out of fashion tomorrow.

FWIW, IMHO we should deploy a solution that works today, and deal with tomorrowā€™s standards tomorrowā€¦

2 Likes

I have got email notification on game start checked, but I donā€™t get any email notifications. I thought having an email client could be a workaround for the lack of game start notifications.

Every sound asset on OGS exists in mp3 ogg and wav format. Iā€™ve converted that mp3 to ogg and wav using audacity:

looking forward to get your PR merged into OGS.

1 Like

Yeah I was chatting to anoek about whether the other formats are required anymore these days. I suspect that they are not (which is why I didnā€™t bother with them) but it canā€™t hurt to have them! Thanks!

2 Likes

Iā€™m really happy to see that this feature has snuck into the main site now.

You should get a dinging sound when live matches start.

That sound has itā€™s own separate control in in Settings, here:

5 Likes

PS - I guess since no-oneā€™s complaining, then itā€™s probably working, but itā€™d be nice to have some confirmation for different browsers/OSes, because (as you may have read) this kind of thing is getting made harder by browser-makers, so itā€™d be nice to know if it ā€œjust worksā€ right now or ā€œonly works for some peopleā€.

Thanks!

2 Likes

After 10min I still couldnā€™t get a game (9x9,normal speed, Ā±9ranks, other options ā€˜No Preferenceā€™) so I regret to say I am not in a position to confirm the operation of ā€˜automatch altertā€™. Iā€™m going back to ā€˜Custom Gameā€™ which is a lot quicker.

Is the new alert supposed to work for live custom games too? Iā€™m guessing not but I wonder why.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s odd.

When I made the PR, it was dinging on live custom games.

However I can see that the version on the main site does not do that.

@anoek made some changes after my PR ā€¦ any ideas @anoek?

I think it should ding when a custom live game startsā€¦

GaJ

2 Likes

OK, I can see how @anoekā€™s revision took away the ding from custom live games starting, but Iā€™m not sure why yet :slight_smile: So Iā€™ll have to ask the man himself!

1 Like

Play a dingdingding sound when an automatch starts by GreenAsJade Ā· Pull Request #650 Ā· online-go/online-go.com Ā· GitHub is the change, yeah sorry based on the PR name I thought it was only intended for automatches, live match starts would be great too though! The reason why I moved it was because as it was implemented, itā€™d play the tune whenever there were correspondence game start notifications lingering (so, if someone hadnā€™t cleared out their notification queue, a common thing, then it plays every time the page is opened or every time there is a connection reset).

Feel free to make it ding on live game starts too, just so long as thereā€™s some logic to prevent it from dinging on page load / connection resets if there are notifications lingering :slight_smile: I promise Iā€™ll merge it way faster than this one, Iā€™m back now!

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.