Game analysis randomly resets

Startles the pants off me when I’m super absorbed in it.

1 Like

Hmm… have you happened to notice any other events going on when this happens? Such as your opponent making a move, or your connection resetting or anything like that?

1 Like

This used to happen to me quite often running Chrome on an old (PPC) macbook, though I haven’t checked in a while (before the new site).

1 Like

Yuck… alrighty i’ll try and figure out what’s going on.

1 Like

Yup, same here. I always thought that it was my mistake somehow.

I considered that. It doesn’t seem to occur when my opponent is making a move- I always think that’s what it means, but not so- but it could have to do with a connection reset I am unaware of.

I think this has do do with connection. I only ever notice it when on my phone.

Alrighty I think I’ve got a good idea on how to address this issue, though it’s going to take a bit of work. I’m going to postpone it until some of the more pressing bugs are fixed up, but I’ll make it happen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any update here? Thanks!

1 Like

What a necro!

1 Like

Well it does still happen occasionally. In my experience the tab seems to act as if it refreshed the page.

Hm. It hadn’t happened for a while but it happened in the game I just looked at. :o

1 Like

Any reports of it happening for other browsers? I’m pretty sure periodic auto-refresh is SOP for Chrome, no?

I’m aware that FF isn’t exclusively FF anymore but I’d hope that it’s not the same as Chrome.

That said, I did find a setting that at least sounds like it could be the culprit. Obviously try at your own risk. :wink:

Firefox > enter the following in the URL box: about:config
Look up accessibility.blockautorefresh and set it to true.

I don’t really care that much… but yea.

This has happened in all of my correspondence games this year. I use Chrome. My rough observation is that it does not seem to depend on time (as a refresh would) but as a result of a very large number of variations. In other words, it seems like it reaches a default limit and resets.

1 Like

I don’t know, I just tested it and with 5x100_move + 50x~10_move variations there doesn’t seem to be an issue.

1 Like

Hmm, a real mystery then.

I find my analysis gets reset whenever I refresh the page, like when playing a correspondence game. I get why this might be the case (analysis stored in browser session, not in game), especially since SGF don’t seem to store variations/branches in a single file.

I’m using vanilla Safari Version 12.0.1 (13606.2.104.1.2) on OS X 10.13.16, no extensions or caching network devices.

I always take a screen capture if time is too short to re-run each branch, just in case.

I’m not complaining, OGS is impressive, just adding some technical detail.

Well, if you want to analyze a finished game, use the review function.

If you want to analyze an ongoing game, it better not save your variations to the match record, for obvious reasons (your opponent would see them).

The phenomenon that I think we are talking about, as least in my case, is unsaved variations in the game window, which spontaneously disappear after awhile, not due to refreshing or leaving the window. It may well be an issue peculiar to Chrome.

You can use the Malkovich log for that :slight_smile: