Game Chat Notification

When leaving the board after a game ended, any chat message in the game chat will go unnoticed. However, I would love to know if someone (maybe my opponent or anybody else) leaves a comment on one of my games.

I think it would be nice to get a notification about those messages, ideally with a message preview to quickly admire and dismiss a “gg ty” of a game I just left.

I think the same is true if a review is done for a game I participated in? Not sure if there is a notification about this, but I would love to know if somebody has comments on my game :wink:

Besides me being informed, I think this would actually encourage users to comment on games, since the players get notified and have the chance to read it. And reply. Thinking about it, I would also like to get notified if someone leaves a message on a game I participated chatting in. Encourage game-related communication! :sunny:

Thank you very much for consideration :slight_smile:
sulai

15 Likes

You can open the game just finished from your profile/game history where you’ll see any return message. It’s not ideal, but it works

Yeah, but are you really going to open every single game in your whole history to see if anyone commented? with the notification system, even a game from a month ago that randomly receives a new comment wouldn’t get missed.

3 Likes

No to the question - it’s only really viable for checking the last game. A comprehensive notification system would be great

3 Likes

Great suggestion, it could simply be a notification on the main page, or an item in the main ogs menu, opening a page which displays a list of games where a comment has been added after your last visit to this page, with sorting options like date, opponent, and of course was it a game you played or not.
(Or this list could be displayed in the player’s profile).

2 Likes

What a pity that a game chat notification has not been implemented in the meantime…

2 Likes

Last time we talked about it, OGS conclusion was “break the site chat, too”. :yum:

Wow, looks like this just happened!

:+1::+1::+1:

8 Likes

Ah that’s a cool feature especially on mobile. Is it working on an unfinished game ? (Especially when playing live)

1 Like

It shouldn’t notify you while you’re on the game board… I guess that’s a pain for mobile users but good for desktop.

Thanks for the feature add @GreenAsJade :heart: nice to see some of the classics getting knocked off :wink:

4 Likes

Why is the dot blue? It’s the notification?

Also :heart_eyes: at this new feature.

1 Like

It’s to do with this accessibility theme, which changes a few colours around.

and maybe more so this one

4 Likes

Btw idc if we had to tank google cloud for this new feature, I dig it.

2 Likes

I am perfectly sighted (well, above average in any case and with no colour issues) and still highly recommend this theme as, IMO, the objectively best theme we have :heart:

1 Like

Could there be some delay until game chats start sending notifications? Like dont send notifications until 1 hour has passed from the end of the game. Currently when opponent resigns and says “gg ty” i get 3 separate notifications (game has ended / added chat / the computer has finished analysing…")

I would be perfectly happy if i would receive only 1 notification when my opponent resigns. 2 was redundant but 3 is definitely too much xD

3 Likes

It would also be nice if notifications would go away when you visited the linked page.

But about your one hour suggestion, with live games the comments usually come in within a few minutes, so I wouldn’t want to miss those.

Until the site knows which ones are unread, I’d prefer to get notifications for everything.

2 Likes

Or maybe It’s more about filtering some redundancy created by the system itself (Instead
putting delay, just to eliminate or regrouping )

1 Like

I wonder if we could combine notifications for the same game. :thinking:

4 Likes

Maybe dont send that “the computer has finished analysing…” notification to site supporters (or mods xD) at all?

3 Likes