Go Memes! 🧐

BadUseOfJoseki

GoodUseOfJoseki

15 Likes

23 Likes

Meta :smile_cat:

p.s.: And what can I do when I created a meme using a recent photo by some big magazine that therefore is copyrighted etc. etc.? Should I better forget about it? :roll_eyes:

21 Likes

Almost everything is copyrighted. 70 years after the creators death is the standard nowadays. What meme picture is that old?

5 Likes

No-one cares, it’s not like you’re selling the meme or putting it in your scientific paper.

5 Likes

My mind when I play a kosumi

16 Likes

OK :smiley:

18 Likes

Yeah, most memes just blatantly disregard copyright concerns …

The legal status is questionable and may depend on the jurisdiction.

In the USA at least, there are fairly robust “fair use” laws, which might even allow it since one may be able to argue that the usage would fall under the category of parody. However, I’m not a lawyer and please don’t take any of this as legal advice.

It seems that the situation in the EU may be similar?

3 Likes

A few memes that I created are based on such old pictures :sunglasses:

5 Likes

PLAYING STONES A BIT TOO AGGRESSIVELY

Perhaps too eager for an early 33 invasion

The above meme is CopyLeft by @yebellz

Yes, really, I took the photo and am releasing it under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. Go ahead and meme away with it, or use it for whatever else you like.

24 Likes

all of that is commercial anyways.
I can 100% make a Marvel shirt and wear it, at least in US.

Trouble comes when I make a Marvel shirt for sale :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Crane’s nest?

1 Like

You have a tiny trebuchet? That’s awesome mate.

4 Likes

The picture is nice and your bowls are awesome but the light is so strange that it looks like 3D rendering. Is it real?

2 Likes

Copyright laws can be enforced even against non-commercial misuse. For example, people widely share copyrighted material (videos, music, software, etc.) online with no intention of profiting from it, and the copyright holders will still often respond with and succeed in legal action.

The crane’s nest is a different shape: see Crane's Nest Tesuji at Sensei's Library.
The move shown in my photo above is known as the “Trebuchet Tesuji”:
https://senseis.xmp.net/?TrebuchetTesuji

Yes, I do, and it is indeed glorious.

Here’s another picture of just the trebuchet:

Yes, it’s real, but I had hastily applied a filter via Google Photos, which may have turned out strange. Here’s the original image:

I have more pictures of just my go equipment in another post:

Both photos in this post and the three photos in (Show your Goban/Study Space! - #12 by yebellz) are CopyLeft by yebellz, released under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 .

12 Likes

3neaar

35 Likes

14 Likes

ChessBadGoGood

13 Likes

Is it even Friday evening if the Go memes! thread doesn’t come alive?

2 Likes

I do not dislike Chess, so I can’t 100% endorse this meme. Giving you fully credit for a wonderful meme, I’d like to add an adjusted option :sweat_smile:

5 Likes