Guess the black stones

I’ve updated the results page to use these rules.

I like this scoring system, so I encourage future hosts to use the same one :blush:

8 Likes

Tbh I don’t think mine need to be on the heatmap. They’re mostly wrong and show variation that actually isn’t there, most of y’all tend to agree on important moves.
I’m just riding along because I enjoy the game :blush:

5 Likes

Personally I think the heatmap gets more interesting the more different guesses there are, it certainly would be no fun if everyone agreed :stuck_out_tongue:

But apart from that, it’s nice to have all guesses in one place for the automatic scoring :blush:

(It’s really quick for me to input an extra guess, so anyone can feel free to submit their guess however they like, and I can add it to the wiki post later. And I still think it’s easier to do it this way, one guess at a time, than the host having to collect everything together at the end)

8 Likes

Time to end this round maybe, unless someone more wanted to guess but forgot? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems like I skipped one round last week

Summary

4 Likes

Results

Gu Zihao v. Choi Jeong (2019) 24th LG Cup, W+R

Heatmap of attempts:

download1

Player Score
@gennan 25
@claire_yang 25
@martin3141 17
@le_4TC 16
@Harleqin 13
@Gia 4
@yebellz 4

Congratulations to @gennan and @claire_yang! Each was off by only one stone.

8 Likes

https://online-go.com/demo/view/636264

17 black stones were removed. Two points for every correctly guessed stone, minus one point for every incorrectly placed stone.

This game was played by amateur players in the championship of their country.

7 Likes

Demo Board for Heatmap

This is a wiki post to collect attempts for heatmap purposes.

Attempts

mark5000
gennan

3 Likes
The Game

This game was played in 2015 by Lothar Spiegel (Black) and Viktor Lin (White). The complete sgf-file can be found at http://goverband.at/wp2/staatsmeisterschaft/staatsmeisterschaft_2015/

Results

@mark5000: 8 correct, 9 incorrect -> 7 Points
@gennan: 6 correct, 11 incorrect -> 1 Point

Thank you @mark5000 and @gennan for playing. In my opinion both of you did very well. I imagine this round of Guess the black stones was rather difficult, especially given that at this particular point in the game there is an unresolved fight going on in the lower-right corner.

3 Likes

I missed it :pensive:

Sorry, I thought it would be best to wrap this round up, in the interest of keeping this thread flowing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was wondering, would it make sense to omit the first, let’s say 30 moves? And try to guess the opening of a mid-game?

4 Likes

That’s a cool idea! As an experiment, here is a pro game without the first 20 moves, played out all the way to resignation:

I guess going all the way to the end probably makes it too easy, but I figured better too easy than too hard for the first test :slight_smile:

6 Likes

(oh. my. Me and my big mouth :crying_cat_face:)

2 Likes

Not that it’ll help me much, but where any stones in the first 20 moves that have since been removed?

There were no captures in the first 20 moves. When captures happened later in the game, I manually removed the visible captured stones (like on move 69). Only one time I had to make a hidden move visible to make a move legal (move 100).

My original plan was to stop before any captures happened, because they really make things messy ^^ But since the top half was so empty at move 69 I decided to continue.

I don’t really know how we should handle captures in general, hence why I’m treating this just as an experiment, and we’ll have to make it up as we go :slight_smile:

Edit: More direct answer to the question, maybe slightly spoilery

None of the first 20 moves were captured throughout the game.

1 Like

I believe I figured out the placement of 13 of the moves, but the placements of the other 7 moves eludes me. (and I didn’t think about the order yet)

Spoiler Alert

3 Likes
Hint to help things along

All of the stones that @martin3141 placed are correct. The remaining 7 stones are all in the upper right corner, making a very common shape. So try to come up with a normal joseki which would fit “inside” the empty space left in the final position:

2 Likes

I forgot about it, oops. I’ll submit later tonight, but without the hint.

Guess

With the additional hint I believe I found a likely configuration. With this most moves make sense to me, although I’m still confused about some, like White 224. Also I’m quite unsure about the order of moves, but anyway, here is my guess:

3 Likes