Haengma and Sunjang Baduk

I read the rules of Sunjang Baduk (the traditional form of Korean Go in use until the mid-20th century) and suddenly the Korean concept of Haengma seems very self-evident in relation to the rules of Sunjang Baduk since both players begin with 8 predetermined bases along the fourth line so apart from playing Tengen as the first free move every move made will be in a clear relationship (haengma) to stones that are already present on the board.

Starting positions of Sunjang Baduk

3 Likes
3 Likes

I <3 sunjang baduk!

Sent you a challenge for a game^^

Sadly there isnt a sunjang baduk rule/scoring implementation on ogs, but with chinese rules and no komi it should result the same score ^^

1 Like

Here’s the deciding game IIRC I lost of a Sunjang baduk tournament on OGS 13 years ago with some comments. Interesting to see the AI review does agree with my analysis I lost it around move 81.

Another: Sunjang Baduk Tournament (Group A)

3 Likes

It will be interesting to try. :smiley:

1 Like

Since Sunjang Baduk is so weird for me I have even sat up our game on my small study board.

1 Like

From trying Sunjang Baduk now, I would say that it is much more pedagogical for a beginner or low-ranking player since the concept of haengma becomes so clear. I would think that it would actually be more pedagogical for a beginner to start with Sunjang Baduk, then move on to the old Chinese rules (i.e., diagonal bases at the 4-4 and a group tax of one stone for every group you have more than your opponent), and last play according to the Japanese rules, since you would have learnt basic concepts and not do so many weird and random moves as beginners do when they play with Japanese rules or modern Chinese rules.

3 Likes

http://contents.history.go.kr/mobile/tz/view.do?levelId=tz_b38

3 Likes

This is really interesting to me all of a sudden? I recently figured out that where my game needs the most work is in the late opening and early middle game: that’s almost always where I make the worst moves in the games that I end up losing. With Sunjang Baduk, the game starts right at the beginning of the phase that I need to work on the most right now!

Also very interesting to read what @VikingKoala has to say about how this version is good pedagogy for principles of haengma.

2 Likes

Of course, I havent been able to resist having high-playout KataGo try out her hand at sunjang baduk :slight_smile:

I asked high-playout KataGo to play two games from the sunjang starting position (but with NZ rules and 7 komi). Black won the first game; the second (bottom variation in the same file) was a draw. Kata really likes the 6-2 point in these games. She played it once in the first game, twice in the second.

4 Likes

Here is some haengma puzzles for you: Sung-Ho Baek’s “The Master of Haengma”

So I’ve figured out enough to know that if I challenge my regular game friend to sunjang baduk, I’ll have to warn them first that starting from this configuration makes the center much more important and the corners much less important.

I’m starting to think that sunjang baduk is underrated and underused as a teaching technique, especially for new players making the transition from 9x9 and/or 13x13 to 19x19. There’s no reason we can’t use this starting configuration but end up with one of the conventional scoring methods, I don’t think, although the scoring variant associated with sunjang baduk is definitely of the area-scoring type and not the territory+prisoners type.

1 Like