Images of newer times

Again, the whole point is not to be beholden to tradition, but instead challenge classical aesthetics with a modern design.

In a conventional board, the grid lines are also gradually covered by the stones, since they rest on top. However, with my design, the grid lines remain visible, and even the hoshi being overlaid on top of placed stones gives the impression that the stones are filling within the grid, or maybe even visually seem below the grid.

As a happy accident of how I generated the image, there is often a thin dark line between the color of the stone and the white of the grid lines. This is due to how an SVG was rendered into discrete pixels, and then bucket filled with the stone colors. However, I kind of like how that turned out since it subtly enhances the perception (by giving hint of a shadow) that the grid is above the color of the stones.

People will have differing and varied preferences, and I don’t expect everyone to like my design, of course. However, it’s interesting that much of the commentary has focused on these type of issues rather than concern about the stones not being centered on the intersections of the grid.

1 Like

This isn’t an issue anymore since your first picture. :smile:

3 Likes
14 Likes

Yeah, that’s in Ichigaya station, I’ve been there! Apparently the Nihon Kiin is just around the corner (although I didn’t know that at the time)

6 Likes

We should put this in our puzzle collection. :slightly_smiling_face:
BTW does it have a solution? I can’t find a way for black to live.

It’s a chosei (eternal life): an extremely rare case of repetition that does not involve a ko.

5 Likes

Hyper moderngo put dots on sansan

Crossposting this creation by @pdg137 from Features everyone secretly want on OGS but will never be implemented - #57 by pdg137

I only just realised how good my Roman mosaic boards look :3

7 Likes

The spiral tile patterns seemed appropriate for my ladder games. Now guess which one is from an @S_Alexander cat tournament :wink:

1 Like

7 Likes

Southerly airlfow that brings spring temperature, huh?

Here in the Netherlands we’re having the worst snow storm since decades, although most people seem to be enjoying the snow immensely (it’s pretty rare we get a significant amount of snow for more than a couple of days) :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I guess, “Sneeuwballengevecht” is now my favourite Dutch word. :smile:

Here in Germany, it’s relatively warm in the South at the moment and cold, stormy and snowy in the North. I actually like that the snow won’t melt away immediately for a change.

5 Likes

Yesterday I was in the balcony, hanging some laundry to dry, and one of these
was keeping me company.

I was thinking "great :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , cold is over, I guess the 18+ C temperature we have been having lately is here to stay :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: ".

Forecast for next week is back to the zeros. :crying_cat_face: :crying_cat_face: :crying_cat_face:

3 Likes

Yesterday, we had the first decent snow in South-East England since, I think, the “Beast from the East” (aka “Anticyclone Hartmut”) in February / March 2018.

And by “decent”, I only mean that the grass was covered – still, I was excited~

4 Likes

Screenshot I took just now from the Color Go Server (CG") at colorgoserver.com.

Surely there are other great pictures from the server worthy of posting in this thread – it really exemplifies the topic.

Also, irrc CGS games are valid for WDC, so play away~

6 Likes

It does look cool, but it completely melts my laptop just to look at the game lobby.

7 Likes

From Go Sightings | Tchan001's Blog, linked by @yebellz in the Olden Times thread.

And more interestingly, my long speculation about the possible existence of wooden Go stones has been resolved. From the year-2000 “Hermes set” (on leather board):

See #37 Hermes Go Set | Tchan001's Blog for more pics.

11 Likes

That’s pretty cool!
It’s open source as well GitHub - omegaGoTeam/omegaGo: Client for the game of Go

I wonder if the devs would be keen to add OGS support.

1 Like

Looking through the BGA website and I found this interesting make your own paper Go Set page.
https://www.britgo.org/learners/make.html

2 Likes

How did you generate that, if I may ask? I totally will not steal the idea, promise.