Looking for beta testers for OGS v5!

Not a bug, but a thing that has always bugged me, as it were :stuck_out_tongue:

The fact that not all settings are stored server-side. Specifically, the fact that every time I log in from a new browser, I have to go to Settings and turn the sounds off again. I love the web UI because I can always reach OGS from anywhere, but this niggles.

3 Likes

Once stuck, if you press ā€œEstimate scoreā€ again, then click back to game, youā€™re back. Still a bug, but an easier workaround for now.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone whoā€™se reported bugs, we logged (and fixed!) a little over 100 :slight_smile: Seems like the reports have slowed down a bit and things are stabilizing - weā€™re going to give it another week for people to bang on things and for us to prepare, then weā€™ll finally get v5 released on monday.

Thanks again for everyone who poked around on the site trying to break it!

9 Likes

SGF library link in the main menu doesnā€™t work when one is already inside a sgf library collection "folder"
It will give error. ā€œThis library collection doesnā€™t exist or is privateā€

Also Couldnā€™t get SGF uploading to work on slightly old chrome, up to date chrome or on Vivaldi
I tried using the upload button or dragging the file. Nothing happens when I drag files or hit open (after selecting a file to upload) The browser developer tools console shows some actions happening but I canā€™t read that mumbojumbo

1 Like

Puzzles scale weirdly. Small ā€œboardā€ upscale a tad when the first stone is played and big boards scale more up when the first stone is played.

1 Like

Can you please add ā€œpassā€ button in demo board?
Itā€™s hard to understand some complex superko rule situations on small boards without it.

3 Likes

Not exactly a bug, but it seems certain things are not being referenced anymore.

For example, thereā€™s no link to uservoice (not that I can find anyway), is it going to be discontinued?
Basically this applies to most of the links that appeared at the bottom of the Home page. Most importantly Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. A bit of digging revealed those, however, Iā€™m concerned as to whether the API will continue to be functional, since that I truly can no longer find.

Is there a change in any of these things?

Edit: https://beta.online-go.com/developer does have something in it, so I guess I may be worrying for nothing. Anyway, just letting you know in case there was an oversight.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for future release!
In generally markup of UI getting dirty. For exmple:

1. Chat in UI doesnā€™t fill all space and looks very small.
  2. User panels have different sizis depending on content and looks inaccurate.

My info:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/53.0.2785.101 Safari/537.36
Device Pixel Ratio: 1
Screen Resolution: 1600px x 900px
Browser Window Size: 1585 px x 777 px

4 Likes

May be bug:

When I using tools ā€˜Aā€™ or ā€˜1ā€™ and long press down a mouse button and move it across a board, characters and digits donā€™t change in each crossing and I see lines ā€œAAAAAā€, ā€œ11111ā€, etc.

p.s. sorry for my English.
p.p.s. last version of Chrome browser

1 Like

There is a second side effect of this, which I would argue is a bug: having to dismiss notifications multiple times across different devices, because the dismissal appears to be stored in client storage.

1 Like

The most troublesome part about this, is actually if you use ā€œsubmit Moveā€ Causes mis-plays the first time you forget to set it after logging in

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if this is caused by the different website or if itā€™s in the code: both the forum and the current version of OGS can be added to the home screen as a full screen website, acting almost like a native app (including being listed separately in recent apps).
The beta site doesnā€™t have that feature and opens like a new tab in chrome even after being added to the home screen.

Edit: since my other post is already buried under various others: Iā€™m testing on Android

2 Likes

Exactly the same that Wulfenia describes about ā€œBlockā€ being translated as if it were ā€œBlackā€ happens in Spanish as well (in the red button to block a user). I have not found anything in the .po file warranting such behaviour. I am guessing that the software must be asking for ā€œBlackā€ translations instead of ā€œBlockā€ translations for that button, for any language, so it is probably broken in any non-English language right now.

2 Likes

OK I think I figured out what happened, it looks like by default the new process to update the translation templates was applying ā€œfuzzy matchingā€ to try and ā€œhelp outā€ - I think the idea was that if I updated a string to include a period or change a minor typo or something, it would try and match against a probably older translation until a nice human translator would come along and adjust if it needed to be adjusted. But the effect here was that ā€œBlackā€ looked an awful lot like ā€œBlockā€ to that fuzzy matcher and so it used a translation for Black because thatā€™s what it had.

Iā€™ve turned this off, I donā€™t think we ever had it before, and seems like it might do more harm than good in our case. In any case, the ā€œfixā€ is to update the translation for ā€œBlockā€ to whatever it should be - it looks like this has already been done for Spanish

2 Likes

Repeating this issue here: people who make their accounts using google or facebook cannot authenticate with third party applications through the API, because there is no user-visible password they can use.

You also cannot create a password using the change password function, because it asks you to input your existing password which I assume is just an auth token of some kind that we cannot see.

3 Likes

Thanks anoek!

Also, the obscenity filter (or however it is called) is still filtering ā€œnegroā€, which means ā€œblackā€ in Spanish. Obviously that is pretty terrible on a go site: No need to say, when chatting about a game with my friends, we always mention ā€œnegroā€ and ā€œblancoā€ (black and white respectively). This makes the filter pretty useless. I would not consider it a problem if it were turned off by default, but I have had to explain and ask to many friends to turn off the filter, because they were seeing *!$ everytime I mentioned black and that is really annoying.

4 Likes

Also, it is censoring ā€œbig black,ā€ which i find incredible funny xD

The ā€œxxā€ is also still censored, and the profanity filter will break links if something censored is in the url.

2 Likes

On the plus side, you can use as many Spanish swearwords as you want.

2 Likes

Not really: Most Spanish swearwords are censored as well. But at least they are not completely normal go terms, like ā€œnegroā€ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Please let the board use the full height of the browser viewport. The current full screen mode lets you do that and this really makes a big difference on laptops.

Having to scroll down the right side to get access to controls is also very annoying. The current side bar lets you access controls without scrolling.

The whole UI seems designed for very large screens or possibly 4:3 screens but lots of people are on laptops with smaller, 16:9 or 16:10 screens.

4 Likes