"Out of Love", "Higher Love" & "Crazy in Love" badges

Recently I’ve noticed several new users of the forum who go about liking every single post in a thread, presumably not because they actually value the content, but because they want to get one of the badges that I named in the title.

Is this what liking is for? I personally use my likes to mark posts that I find interesting, amusing or valuable, and in a discussion it becomes clear which posts are worth reading by looking at the number of likes. It also shows to a certain extent what the general consensus is on the forum during discussions.

Furthermore, I get a notification with every like, and I usually get excited by notifications, since it could be a thoughtful response to something I posted. It’s a little disappointing when it’s only some likes on old posts without any engagement.

Is this just me, or do others agree that these badges stimulate behaviour that is not necessarily beneficial to our forum? It’s a rather minor issue anyway, and in no way do I intend to criticise those who try to get the badges, just curious to the general opinion. :slight_smile:

23 Likes

It’s possible to turn off or decrease the notifications for likes in the settings.

Maybe some people are gaming for those badges, but it seems to be only a handful at best. At least once they get those badges, they might slow down, if that’s all that they were liking for.

9 Likes

I think it’s the kids here who want to “collect” badges, like “achievements” in a game. They also want to be “friends” with, and play with, mods/admins. Maybe we should create autograph cards for them <jk> :wink:
I think we shouldn’t worry too much about it, it will pass.

16 Likes

If you aren’t the one doing it, I don’t know if you can say it will pass.

3 Likes

I was a kid once (when dinosaurs walked on Earth), and I haven’t forgotten it :wink:

9 Likes

So it’s actually adorable!

I’ll start adopting that mentality :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Mh… not sure, I think that may be taking it a little bit too far. I wouldn’t want to encourage such behaviour, and I for one do NOT “like” every one of their posts, and sometimes I counter them (maybe a bit harshly), to show my disapproval (of the post/comment, not the person!), just like I do not accept every game invitation (I still don’t like the word “challenge”, reminds me too much of those challenges in Western movies where gunslingers are “challenged”).

But overall … they’re children, and we (i.e. OGS) want to be a kid-friendly site also. I think we had a rush of kids recently, some school (or even Go school), I think. Let’s welcome them—while at the same time teaching them Go etiquette and netiquette also.

13 Likes

Now I came to a problem. I like every post in this thread and feel they have something to add to the conversation. What do I do now??? I don’t want to break this thread by breaking the rule that is valid. :no_mouth:

Edit: @trohde, I would like your post because it has a good message and is directed towards me, but then I would be destroying this thread from the inside. Great post though!

7 Likes

Don’t worry too much, @Haze_with_a_Z :wink:

7 Likes

When i excitedly open up the forum only to see 5 out of 7 are likes.

3 Likes

Heh :grin: I for one am young enough (feels like sixteen) to look at every of my “liked” posts, just to see which one it was :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I do that unless I got a notification that someone liked x number of my posts. Then I just dismiss all.

5 Likes

IIRC, if you click those notifications, you’re taken to a page where you can see ALL those comments/posts at once, no need to visit every single one; this I find very practical.

5 Likes

I know, although I then scroll and find old notifications or accidentally clear the other notifications that I want to look at. I don’t know if I will still have that notification if I don’t, and I don’t want it that to happen.

2 Likes

I didn’t even know those badges exist. When I clicked on this thread, I thought it was going to be a satire. :laughing:

4 Likes

What if you actually had all of them :rofl:

4 Likes

Take a look at

2 Likes

Haha. I am up for getting more likes. I like a lot of posts, especially when I am reading old threads such as the Christmas go haiku challenge.

3 Likes

So true like I am a kid and I want to do those too.

1 Like

What option am I?

2 Likes