đź’€ Sekify that group!

In another thread I wrote:

For years seki’s just happened to me. I thought I had a healthy living group and then my opponent put some stones in it and we both couldn’t play any move over there. I lost quite a few games because of the sekification of one of my groups. A seki usually means a reduction of the conquered territory of at least 10 points (but usually much more).

So the question is - when you decide to use sekification as a strategy / tactic - how to work up to a sekifiable group (preparing the situation) and how to sekify the group (creating a mutual life)?

@Groin & @Kosh already contributed to this question.

Anyone got suggestions, tricks, etc.?

Some interesting seki links here:

6 Likes

Kosh offered a tip in the same thread about one of my sekis

I’ve been trying to pay attention to the outside liberties ever since, but usually to avoid being invaded. I had not seen the idea formulated this way before, the timing of after endgame sealing territory was new to me. I should watch for chances to sekify my opponent as well

6 Likes

If your opponent starts filling the outside liberties of your group (and sometimes they do that very sneakily), then bells should start ringing and lights flashing.
Seki alarm!

7 Likes

Seki or… Death too.

2 Likes

Perhaps there is something in [Study Group] Essential Life and Death Patterns

Oh, and let’s not forget the example at Professional players making rookie mistakes - #32 by Vsotvep (the solution is in my spoilered reply)

3 Likes

Just remember to keep shared liberties. :grin:

1 Like

PSA: be careful not to sekify an opponent’s group you could have otherwise killed :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I assume this doesn’t refer to prostate-specific antigen, but to Public Service Announcement?

2 Likes

umm… correct.

2 Likes

This happened to me recently: Seki

White passed and did not reinforce the group. Black can make a seki.

1 Like
spoiler

Atari Connect Atari Takes a stone Seki