Monster seki!

What’s the biggest/most impressive seki you’ve got in a game? I just finished this error-strewn game with a 66 point seki, (69 if you count the shared eye), by far the largest I’ve ever seen:

Granted, we both had opportunities to kill at least part of that monster, but that would’ve made the game far less memorable!

Share your best!

9 Likes

Wow it is amazing!

2 Likes

Wow, neat seki. It’s quite nice how it sprawls out from the center and toward the edges.

I had a 62 point seki (counting all stones + shared liberties + one eye each per group) covering most of the top-right quadrant in this game:

It was the largest seki that I had seen in an actual game until I saw your game.

I asked for a review for my game here:

@mark5000 pointed out some chances for it to have been prevented: Ladder Challenge: koshaq90(#1077) vs yebellz(#647)

6 Likes

This one isn’t massive on points but well…

5 Likes

That’s amazing. Would’ve been 7 points black to 4 points white, before komi XD.

1 Like

It’s massive on a small board especially with the missing move :sunny:

2 Likes

I love big s e k i s and I cannot lie!

5 Likes

This wild monster seki showed itself in a blitz game I just watched.

There are 42 total stones in the seki, of which 24 are black (rhubarb) and 18 are white (custard), with a total of 90 points involved.

(I removed the outside fighting.)

5 Likes

Nice seki but seriously… What is up with that color scheme!?

Are your eyes okay?

1 Like

It’s just a regular battenburg:

Joking aside, it actually looks quite nice with the second set of default stones, or with white and the default purple (the one on the seventh column).

4 Likes

This 47-stone (?) seki nearly came onto the board in my game this morning.

I’m not even remotely sure that it should have been seki, though.

Cleaned-up version on the Solarized colour scheme.

7 Likes

This seki appeared in a dan game us chatfolk kibitzed just now, stemming from the hypermodern 3-3 joseki Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS.

25 stones are involved in the interior seki and a further 11 in the walls.

There are two factors preventing it from being a totally clean seki.

1. The stones have bad shape and are threatened by the possibility of E13 moving out.

2. White can play at A to create a sort of step ko.

Note the jug shape connected to F16 – the jug is often, directly or indirectly, a cutting structure.

3 Likes

77-stone seki from Notbiased’s stream.

5 Likes

Was this played with Japanese rules?

If so, this would be a case where Black should capture the two White stones inside the seki, which forces White to throw in another that should then also be captured by Black.

4 Likes

It was played on Fox, so no.

1 Like

69-stone seki made by @danjosely in danjosely vs. 长剑当行

This is the second-largest of the thread, after the 77-stone one by NotBiased.

3 Likes

In a mistake-laden game, this seki saved my behind.

3 Likes

I timed out of this game after my laptop ran out of charge, which was sad since it was very won due to the capture of White’s upper centre group.

His lower centre group, though, seems to be in seki with mine. The seki contains slightly over forty stones.

4 Likes