Food that others hate but you love

The converse counterpart to Food that others love but you hate, this is a thread for discussing foods you enjoy but many other people may not.

For me:

• pickles – onions, gherkins, eggs, cabbage etc.
  • blue cheese
  • fermented sauces
  • stout and the “sour” beer style
  • shellfish
  • squid and octopus
  • strong fish like anchovies and mackerel
  • hummus (although I’m not in a part of the world where I can talk about “real hummus”)
  • pesto, especially green pesto
6 Likes

Watermelon and feta.
Don’t dismiss until you try it.

Oh, and snails (but it’s really tricky to cook them properly, I can understand people who hate them if they’ve only tried them poorly prepaired).

5 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten at a restaurant that served snails.

They’re the “shellfish of the land”, right? ;)

They remind me of this other edible mollusc:

4 Likes

I’ve only eaten them straight from the hills around my village, cooked by the Mothers of the Clan, or by me (very seldom, since I’m seldom there).

Where I studied in Crete, they cook them like this, but I don’t remember if I ever preferred them over my other local favorites

4 Likes

This actually sounds really good.

3 Likes

Smelly tofu (tofu fermented in some spicy sauce) is a bit like the Chinese cheese, I love some of them and I like to add it in my sauce for hot pot or salad…

6 Likes

I like really spicy foods. Like extremely hot.

Love all sorts of shellfish, including sea snails, and all sorts of seafood in general. Can shuck a lobster blindfolded. Love raw oysters.

Love land snails too, but only had them in the French style.

I’ve had silkworm pupae when I was younger (during a visit to China). Not bad. Yes, you have to pick out the live and wriggling ones at the market.

6 Likes

I dunno if you tried but in Lima (Peru) you can enjoy a supra spicy plate of seafood in the street, forgot the name sorry.
From a very spicy food lover .

4 Likes

Ray Mears discusses how to harvest ant larvae (timestamped)

1 Like

My mother always made beets with spaghetti. I loved the spaghetti, so I ate the beets too and acquired the taste for them. I was the only kid in elementary school who liked beets. I also grew up eating liver, which my mother made frequently with onions and bacon on top. I like liver if it is deveined, but I never make it for myself.

5 Likes

So far I love every food item mentioned here and I have had before, and those I hadn’t I want to try. ^^
(And yeah: I want to taste the woodworms and silkworm pupae too. :stuck_out_tongue:)

4 Likes

Not every kid has a good cook mom.

1 Like

Raw (dehydrated) instant noodles

I have a pretty bland palette so can’t think of anything else off the top of my head. I’d do better in the original thread haha

5 Likes

I’ve barely ever had a beetroot that wasn’t pickled.

I do like sliced pickled beetroot – it has a distinctive flavour.

I’m ambivalent towards liver, but I think I’m gradually enjoying it more and more.

2 Likes

Finely cut raw beetroot with a little bit of grated lemon zest and juice makes a very simple and super healthy salad. I like it a lot. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Grated cheese and grated carrot with gravy on top? Does this count? Not sure what others think of it but I like it

2 Likes

Ah, grated beetroot!

I have actually had that, yeah, pre-grated. It’s nice.

1 Like

Muesli (or any cereal really) with hot milk that I have every day seems to offend sensibilities in a way I do not understand.

3 Likes

Whaaaat, there are people who don’t like hummus?!? Not in my world. :smile:

I love brussels sprouts.
And Blutwurst (blood sausage), although I only eat it once every five years or so. Otherwise, I’m an inconsistent vegetarian.

5 Likes

Hummus is an inferior dip! Give me French Onion any day :wink: