"I remember..." game

FFS, can you believe that I said this:

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 8.14.37 am

4 Likes

I remember when @Kosh launched the Ladder Legend 9x9 tournament starting January 31, 2019, featuring guest commentary by me.

4 Likes

Hmm, we missed the birth of the two youngest servers, the Variant Go Server and the Color Go Server.

I did reference the former, at least.

2 Likes

They grow up so fast :cry:

3 Likes

Yeah I too tried to get CGS in and missed the opportunity. Thatā€™s one of the reasons I proposed the alternative game/rules :smiley: .

I remember when Shin Jinseo became World #1. I think he overtook Ke Jie, but Park Jungwan might have been the one in the position at the time.

Since I donā€™t know exactly when it happened, letā€™s use the date of this Nick Sibicky lecture, which was posted on 11th December 2018.

Shin Minjun reached the front of the pack a little later, completing what might be called the ā€œBig Fourā€ of current professional Go.

Ah, in 2020 we missed spicydragon spicydragon achieving a thousand simultaneous correspondence games.

Letā€™s make sure we donā€™t miss the first professionalā€“professional game played on OGS, though Iā€™m not sure exactly when it was. We probably missed some Europro milestones already~

3 Likes

It was December 2018 actually :slight_smile:
The positive thing is that most of the issues mentioned in that topic have been improved upon. (still no universal hyperlinked table of contents though)

I remember that around November 2018 I had found Yunxuan Liā€™s channel which had some amazing real board videos, that have since, sadly, been wiped clean :frowning:
That was an awesome Go channel.

2 Likes

I remember when I got 77 likes for telling trigger-happy reporters to knock it off.

PSA concerning beginners - Announcements / OGS Announcements - Online Go Forum (online-go.com)

1 Like

The humble rank idea really was a gift of the gods.

Game ID 15,000,000 was generated in October 2018, but it was an annulled game so not worth citing. And itā€™s not like I remember noting the ID at the time anyway.

I think the first version of Lizzie came out in that month, but it might have been earlier.

1 Like

February 26, 2018

1 Like

Oops. Letā€™s not jump with thatā€¦

Also, September saw Nick Sibicky end his six-part My Robot Overlord series, which introduced his controversial habit of referring to Go programs as ā€œrobotsā€.

But I donā€™t remember that series, so I canā€™t cite it.

That reminded me of Nick Sibickyā€™s existential crisis, Jun 29, 2017

5 Likes

Hello GreenAsJade, welcome to our community! Nice to meet you for the very first time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

4 Likes

I remember the Go Creatorā€™s Invitational, a tournament of streamers and youtubers held here in May 2018. I think there was an also an edition held in 2015; I wasnā€™t around at that time.

The jump feels a bit large but I tried my best. Yoonyoungā€™s video was published on the 21st.

1 Like

Not sure where to post this, but I only just realised that Pachi is a real bot.

I thought it was a character invented for The Empty Triangle ^^

Creatorā€™s comments: In the time Iā€™ve been occupied chiefly outside of the world of Go, it seems a veritable revolution has taken place in the area of computer Go :slight_smile: Poor Pachi stands no chance now against the big alphas leading the algorithm packā€¦

I wonder if there is a followup to this game called ā€œIā€™ve heard about whenā€¦ā€ :smiley:

1 Like

hopeful boomp

Iā€™ve heard about when Cho Chikun became the Japanese first player to win 1500 official games, in April 2017ā€¦

1 Like

I remember when Iyama Yuta became the first player to hold all seven major Japanese titles simultaneously. I donā€™t remember when exactly that was, except 2017, so weā€™ll treat this as being at the same time as your post.

That was, by the way, the only year so far in which heā€™s held all seven.

1 Like