Please Fix the Scoring Bug

The scoring bug is still not fixed after years of complaints.
A game with integer komi which ends with equal scores is a draw (or jigo if you prefer to call it that). It is not a “win by 0 points” for one side.

9 Likes

Yes indeed, its been like this forever, and its been even reported multiple times :<
We want jigos!!

5 Likes

This is not a “scoring bug”. The score has been correctly determined.

It is an issue of the display of the result.

I took the liberty of fixing up the thread name (which used to say “scoring bug”) to more correctly represent what is being requested here.

Scoring bug: serious
Display of drawn result: minor corner case.

This could be fixed in the front end, you all know where the source code is, if you care about it enough.

I reckon it would take a determined and smart person less than a year, starting completely from scratch, to learn how to fix it :wink: I’d be willing to help.

1 Like

So are jigo games actually properly counted as draws for ranking purposes, etc.? All this time, it has just been purely a frontend problem? How do some tournaments handle the draws?

These are good questions - I think the implication of them is right: this is more than a display issue.

I stand corrected.

5 Likes

… and since they are more than display issues, this has to go in the queue of back-end feature requests…

… and blow me down: it’s there already:

And you can see, if you read the events on that issue, that mid-last year it was prioritised as “high” by anoek. So it’s not being ignored.

And if we look a bit harder, we can find that it is about 30th in line behind other similar requests, amidst a sea of requests of other types.

It’s not surprising, then, that it’s still with us: there are more important things to be dealt with.

4 Likes

But it’s not a “feature request”; it’s a bug.

1 Like

So are many of the other tickets in that board that I pointed to, ahead of this one in priority.

2 Likes

This bug-fix is 32nd in a queue of 59 issues, so it looks like it will not be getting attention anytime soon. In my opinion, it should be a higher priority than a good few of the other feature requests and bug reports on the list.

Mods can already declare games to be ties, so the game state “Tie” already exists. Given that, is this bug so difficult to fix?

3 Likes

I think only @anoek can answer that, and maybe he will take a look and see if this input affects the prioritisation…

2 Likes

In which case I’ll add my voice to the draw/jigo/tie cause!

3 Likes

I suspect it’s low priority based on the extremely unlikely nature of this happening. First, a game must be played with integer komi, which is uncommon. If I had to guess, I bet that already accounts for less than 1% of games played on OGS. Second, it must be a tie. If we look at point distributions of wins, I’d bet half-point games make up, at most, 5% of games. So, for both of these to be true, we’re looking at 0.05% of games, or 1 in every 2000 games. That is likely not seen as a particularly impactful bug.

5 Likes

SInce my rank stabilised, it’s happened twice in my last 80 games, so one in 40, not one in 2000.
It affects scoring and rank. It’s not just a “feature” like being able to pick different sounds when a move is played. It’s a bug.

2 Likes

If you play integer komi games, then yeah, of course. You’re then presupposing the first condition (games with integer komi), and only counting the second condition (games that would end with a score difference of 0 or 0.5 points, depending on komi settings) which I estimated at 5%.

It is a bug, for sure. But it’s not a particularly impactful bug. Most games are not played with integer komi.

4 Likes

Even as someone who wants draws to be scored properly as I play NZD rules, I agree that it’s a very rare case since Japanese and Chinese rules are so dominant.

1 Like

Related Discussion

3 Likes