Rengo is now available

Hello All,

Thanks to the hard work of @GreenAsJade we now have Rengo! To create a Rengo game simply check the ‘Rengo’ box when creating a new game on the play page.

You will then be brought to a match making screen where you can form up your teams. You can play any number of players against any number of players, players will take turns placing stones for their team in a round robin fashion.

You can see a list of Rengo games available to join in the Rengo game section of the play page.

If you like the feature, don’t forget to reach out to @GreenAsJade and let him know you like it!

Also, a special shout out to @Gozart for putting forth the challenge at the right time such that it piqued @GreenAsJade’s interest enough to make it happen :slight_smile:

GaJ Edit:

It seems a good place to note that you can find Rengo games on the Games page using the filter:

76 Likes

Thanks, @GreenAsJade and @anoek for all of your hard work to make this happen! And thank you @Gozart for putting up the funding!

For anyone that’s too afraid to ask… information about rengo

TL;DR: Rengo is a form of Team Go, where each color is controlled by a team of one or more (often two) players. The members of each team take turns (in a fixed rotation) for playing stones for their color. There should be no communication about strategy between the players, except to discuss whether or not to resign.

26 Likes

2022 is coming up nicely.
:+1:t2:.

21 Likes

Thanks team!

10 Likes

Awesome news, i like Rengo so much O.O

10 Likes

That is great news! Is it normal that I can’t yet find a way to make a Rengo game with people from my friend list?

6 Likes

Yes, that is currently not possible yet. For now you need to organize with them beforehand and have them join your public challenge

12 Likes

Great work @GreenAsJade
I was a bit anxious “hiring” someone I didn’t know at all but from the beginning it seemed like he’s totally got it down and he keeps delivering while feedback flows in from everyone :smiley: Also thanks for continuous beta-testing @_Sofiam @BHydden @AdamR @Groin @jlt @shinuito @benjito and everyone else from Rengo status - #78 by shinuito and What's a good bounty to implement Rengo? - #281 by Groin
Thanks to @anoek of course for actively participating and supporting it too.

32 Likes

I’m crying with joy :’)
Bravo and many thanks for your hard work :heart_eyes:

13 Likes

OMG y’all are the best!! I can’t wait to give it a go :heart_eyes:

13 Likes

Oh WOW, this is cool!
(Even though I don’t know when I might participate in a Rengo game.)

THANKS to @GreenAsJade, @anoek, and @Gozart!

13 Likes

Congrats on launching @GreenAsJade! Thanks for making it happen!

9 Likes

Congrats to everyone, and specially to @GreenAsJade! This is a hall of fame type of achievement.

7 Likes

It works really well and was fun, thankyou!

Now, can we please disable analysis by default in ranked automatch?

9 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Rengo matchmaking choices

So nice to see it finally happen :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Ohhh something very crazy happened to me…
I tried to accept a normal custom game… I heard the “game started sound” the game appears on my profile, I could watch people playing but it’s not a rengo game!

——

Ok when the game finished it disappeared from my profile :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

FYI bugs can be filed here Issues · online-go/online-go.com · GitHub

8 Likes

Thank you @GreenAsJade! This will be so much fun. I really appreciated your hard work and clever ideas to get this going.

10 Likes