Logbook of Commander Vsotvep of mission Zeta
2087, Apr 27, 17:40 - Log #1
Launch was successful, high orbit has stabilised. No recalibration required until after swing-by around the moon tomorrow. All 12 of us in stable condition.
2087, Apr 28, 03:55 - Log #2
Had contact with Houston about static in communications channel. Does not appear to be internal, but we will take a better look after arriving on Mars. Sling-by imminent, looking good.
2087, Apr 30, 12:10 - Log #3
Had contact with Houston for the last time until Mars orbit. Will now join the rest of the crew in stasis.
2088, Jan 12, 17:30 - Log #4
Woke from stasis. Communications got worse, can barely talk with Houston. Will have to do the landing ourselves.
2088, Jan 14, 07:20 - Log #5
Landing was successful. Communication with Houston impossible, but mechanics claim the system should be working. Backup system failing as well. Short range radio still works, have sent greetings to mission Epsilon.
2088, Jan 14, 09:16 - Log #6
Reconnaissance team reports no trace of mission Epsilon. Hellas base is empty. Last supply log entry dates December 21, eight days after Houston lost contact with mission Epsilon. Base is in good condition, one buggy is missing.
2088 Jan 17, 07:00 - Log #7
Recovered the missing buggy, was found by reconnaissance about 15 hours driving towards Euripus Mons. Buggy had enough fuel to drive back, still no trace of mission Epsilon.
Set up our base at Hellas base, might as well use it ourselves.
2088 Jan 19, 15:45 - Log #8
Something weird is happening. When reconnaissance returned to base today, I found out that we are with 15 people. My earlier log says we should be with 12 people. I know all 15 have been with us since the beginning. We discussed this with the whole crew, everybody remembers arriving with 15 people. But it makes no sense, our shuttle had only 12 seats.
We have not found any trace of mission Epsilon yet.
2088 Jan 26, 16:00 - Log #9
Found the crew list in the garbage disposal, discovered three of our crew members are not listed. Will confront them at once about this.
End of logbook
After the unsuccessful launch of Mission Alpha in the fifties, the sixties and seventies saw the very successful unmanned missions Beta, Gamma and Delta.These missions lay the groundwork for the first human colonisation of Mars. The first manned mission, mission Epsilon, launched on May 8 2085, bringing a team of five pre-colonists to Mars to finish the set up of the base camp for the full team.
Mission Epsilon went according to plan until communications were lost on December 13 2086 (indeed, a Friday). Mission Zeta, was launched on April 27 2087 and had on board the second batch of twelve pre-colonists. Before the mission had properly landed, all communications with Earth were lost, and the crew members soon started having false memories of their fellow crew members. In particular, mysteriously everybody remembered arriving with 15 people, but the shuttle had only space for 12.
Things got worse when the mission Commander @Vsotvep did not show up for dinner on January 26 2088. The crew could find no trace of the commander, as if he had vaporised. The only thing they could find was his logbook.
During the emergency meeting that followed, the crew concluded that three of the remaining 14 people must be Martians trying to infiltrate the human base. They decided their best bet was to eliminate the Martians by democratic vote.
- Every player gets assigned a role secretly by me, the GM, at the start of the game. This role will be either innocent, evil (mimic), detective, or bodyguard. There will be three evil players, one detective and two bodyguards.
For the evil players the goal of the game is to kill all other players, while the goal for all other players is to kill the evil players. The evil players are aware of each other’s evilness, but unknown to the other players. The other roles are secret to everybody. N.B.: This is a team game, so your individual goal is not to stay alive until the end, but to do everything you can to kill the other team (if necessary sacrificing yourself for the greater good).
- The game consists of day and night phases. The day phase will be 48 hours in length, and the night phase will be 24 hours in length.
- During the day phase everybody will be free to discuss the game with each other in the designated forum thread for the game. The evil players may not discuss in private during the day phase. At the end of the day phase there is a public vote (by poll) about who will be executed. The execution will only happen if there is a single player who received more votes than all the other players. In other words: nobody dies when the vote is tied.
- During the night phase only the evil players are allowed to discuss with each other, while the rest of the players must stay silent. During the night phase the evil players decide which of the other players will be killed (in a personal message). The other players who have a special role will do their action at night as well, by telling me, the GM, in a personal message. Doing their action is mandatory for the players with a special role.
- NEW RULE - Every round one of the players will be chosen at random to be cursed. A cursed player can only communicate with emoji. The curse is only active during the day phase.
- After a player is killed, it will be revealed what their team was (if they are evil or not). It will not be announced if they had a special role (detective, bodyguard).
- The special roles have the following actions during the night phase:
- The detective must inspect one of the players and will discover their role.
- The bodyguards must each choose a player to guard. When the guarded player is targeted by the evil players, the bodyguard will die instead. The bodyguard can choose to guard the same player multiple nights in a row and the bodyguard can guard themself (which will have no effect, if they get attacked they will die). If both bodyguards guard the same player, only one of them will die (decided by dice roll). If guard A protects guard B, and guard B protects person C, then if person C is attacked, C will survive, B will survive and A will die. If the guard A protects guard B and guard B protects guard A, then if A is attacked, guard B will die.
The bodyguards are not aware of each others identity.
- It is not allowed to send any of the other players personal messages about the game, about the players of the game or about playing the game.
If you happen to receive a message from another player that breaks this rule, you have to tell me, the GM, in a personal message and I will decide how to deal with it.
- To ensure at least a rudimentary level of participation: every player must write at least two posts containing at least two sentences per day phase. That is at least four sentences per player. Two consecutive posts do not count as two different posts.
- During the game, questions about the rules should be asked in a PM to me, the GM.
- Start of Day 1
- Start of Day 2
- Start of Day 3
- Start of Day 4
- Start of Day 5
- Start of Day 6
- Start of Day 7
The game has finished. The second half of the story, as well as comments from the eliminated players can be found here.