Invitation to play Go variants

There are a lot of Go variants on https://www.govariants.com , many I haven’t tried out yet. Let’s change that and play!

I invite you to play with me any variant on the site. Either join in one of the game links that I post here, or tell me what kind of game you’d like to play!

Here are the first invitation links, all “normal” Go but on new board patterns!

Game #1 Rhombitrihexagonal
https://www.govariants.com/game/65cf8f5ce7d31b1d396fe3c9

Game #2 Circular
https://www.govariants.com/game/65cf8f1ee7d31b1d396fe3c7

Game #3 Trihexagonal
https://www.govariants.com/game/65cf8efde7d31b1d396fe3c6

All of these have unlimited time (I like correspondence games). There are no notifications yet, but I could post reminders here if you want.

The Govariants project

If you don’t know https://www.govariants.com yet, no problem! Let me introduce you. Currently it looks something like this:

The project is open source and aims to provide a website where all kinds of Go variants can be played. The focus lies on variants that were previously not playable anywhere on the internet, for example playing on different board patterns, with parallel moves, with multi-colored stones etc. The project started in 2022 and is being developed by multiple members of this forum. But anyone is welcome to contribute!

Getting started

First you need to create an account, which only requires choosing a username and password (don’t forget it!). Then you can create games, join games and play!

Creating a game

game_creation_form

You can create a game on the landing page. A wide range of variants is available, and each can be customised with different parameters like board size, komi, time control etc. Select parameters of your choice and click “Create Game”! You will be navigated to the page for your new game.

Games List

This is the other notable element on the landing page. From here you can browse all games and navigate to the page of a specific game!

Seats

To join a game, click the “Take Seat” button on one of the seats next to the board. Each seat stands for one participant (determining e.g. the color you play with).

However you can also occupy multiple seats, and this is useful for trying out any variant on your own! (Note: To play a move for a specific seat, first you need to select the seat.)

Variants

Here is a list of currently available variants with short descriptions. Almost all variants use the normal go rules in some way, and these descriptions only include the new rule ideas.

Baduk

This is “normal” Baduk / Weiqi / Go.

BadukWithAbstractBoard

The name is a bit silly, but this variant lets you play on new board patterns!

Phantom

Players can only see their own stones. How does this work for counting? I don’t know … but I’d like to try and find out!

Parallel

Introduction

Parallel can be played by any number of players and features parallel moves. All players choose a move in every round. Once everybody has made a choice, all stones are placed simultaneously.
When multiple people play the same move, a collision occurs. The outcome depends on the configured “Collision Handling” (one of the game parameters).

• Merge: Collisions result in placing a single stone with all colors of the colliding players. For rules on multicolored stones see Fractional.

• Pass: Collisions result in no stone being placed at that position.

• Ko: Collisions result in a “Ko-stone” being placed. This stone vanishes after one round.

Capture Rule

Chains with no liberties are removed as usual. If multiple chains lose their last liberty simultaneously, the following priority rule is applied:

1.) All old chains with no liberty are simultaneously removed.
2.) Then all new chains with no liberty are simultaneously removed.

New chains are those containing stones placed this round, and others are old chains. Note that step 1 may free up liberties and thus save new chains from getting removed in step 2 (similar to normal go, a stone that captures a Ko).

Example Position with three players:

Thread on parallel moves: Go variant: SAS Go

Capture

Also known as Atari go, here the first player who captures a stone wins!

Thread: Anyone interested in playing capture go?

Chess

This is a strange variant where stones can move! Jokes aside, I believe this was added as a proof of concept.

Fun thread: A strange new variant

Tetris

Players are not allowed to form chains of size four (Tetris shapes).

Pyramid

Played on a rectangular board with area scoring where the centre is worth significantly more points than the edges. The point value is equal to the intersections minimum distance to the edges.

Thread: Pyramid go 🔺

Thue-Morse

Instead of alternating, the playing order follows the Thue-Morse (fair sharing) sequence.

Thread: Thue-Morse (Fair Sharing) Sequence: A possible alternative to komi?

Freeze

Immediately after a chain is put into Atari (i.e. its liberties are removed to one), the next player is “frozen” for one move. While frozen a player may not play any move that results in the capture of stones.

EGC page: Freeze Go (B) – European Go Congress 2023

Fractional

Introduction

Fractional is a team game for any number of players that features parallel moves with collision handling “Merge” (see Parallel) and multicolored stones. The chains of stones (a.k.a. groups) are determined for each color individually and can overlap with other chains.

Players place stones with two colors, the first being their team color (e.g. Team Black, Team White). The second color is typically shared with players from other team(s). Each team receives points for stones and territories of their team color (i.e. area scoring).

Definitions

Connectedness
If C is a color, two stones featuring C are called C-connected, if they can be connected by a path traversing only stones featuring color C.

Chains
A Chain of color C is a maximal set of pairwise C-connected stones.

Territory
If C is a team color, a maximal set of connected empty intersections is a C-territory if all adjacent stones feature C.

or alternatively …

[…] if no adjacent stones feature another team color.

Example Position (see also Parallel Fractional Go: Game 3)

Initial Thread: Fractional Multicolour Go

Keima

Each move consists of placing two stones that must form a keima (knight’s move) shape with each other.

EGC page: Keima Go (B) – European Go Congress 2023

One Color

All stones display the same color, but behind the scenes the colors (that are being used to determine captures, territories etc.) are that of a normal game of Go!

Senseis Library page: One Colour Go at Sensei's Library

Drift

After each move, the board transforms with a toroidal shift in both x- and y-direction (configurable as game parameters). Example for such a shift: The top row of intersections moves to the bottom of the board, together with all stones on it. Chains that lose their liberties as a result of a shift are removed simultaneously.

10 Likes

I’d be interested in trying some of these, especially Tetris Go and TMG (of course TMG, lol) live tomorrow if anyone’s available

1 Like

That post could be pinned for a while (imho)?

Quite a well done resume and introduction to a collective work, would be sad to let it disappear soon in the stream of the forum…

5 Likes

I have time for 1-2 live games (depending on the pace). When would be a good time for you?

Do you want to play with time control? Currently the site only supports absolute time (Fischer is planned for the soon future).
Alternatively we can just agree to play with live game pacing :slight_smile:

We can use OGS as a clock (unranked game, “hit the clock” after each move by playing a random move in the OGS game) if you’re up for that. I’ve done it once before and it worked quite nicely.

Otherwise, I think I’ll just have to be content with some high amount of absolute time just to avoid the game sticking around forever if someone has to leave, but an agreement to play reasonably quickly so it ends long before time pressure

I just woke up, but I might try to go back to sleep, normally I wake up 2 hours from now. I’d be available from then until like 13 hours later (though not the whole time, I’ve got other things I want to get done today, too)

1 Like

Ooh, cool ! ^^

I’ve hoped to play more variants. :slight_smile:

I accepted your game offers. ^^ Have nice games and have fun ! :slight_smile:

The reminders might be nice if I forget to move for some time, or whenever you like. ^^

3 Likes

Sweet, have fun to you as well! :slight_smile:

As time permits, I’d like to post some thoughts (maybe like a review) here afterwards.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Could the OGS game clock be isolated as a tool?

Hmm, so we can’t play stone-scoring (with group tax) on OGS, and we can’t play it on govariants either.

2 Likes

Yes, I would enjoy that too, that sounds fun ! ^^

It’s interesting how symmetrical the opening choices are, espeically for the first move. ^^

1 Like

Not yet, I’d like that, so I might add it. But I’d like to have stone scoring on OGS even more. Both things are a bit off topic though.

3 Likes

I have an invitation too:
https://www.govariants.com/game/65d4d49e36eaedbf94e049d5

3 player fractional go, looking for the final third one. Players have a primary color, which defines their territory and a secondary color, which is the primary color of another player.

I’m red, @martin3141 is green and you can be blue! :wink:

3 Likes

Accepted ! ^^

3 Likes

Great, I’ve already place my move, so please do so too, when you’re ready. @fuseki3, @martin3141

2 Likes

Ooh, this looks interesting with all of the shared colours, I’ve never tried fractional go with 3 players before. ^^

I wonder whether there will be many possible interesting interactions which develop as we play compared to a game with more players.

(given the rather small number of possible secondary/primary colour combinations when stones are in contact, and many possible shared colours of stones creating different, interlocking groups.) ^^

1 Like

Me too, I’m a bit worried that it doesn’t really work as an interesting game. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m thinking it may make a difference which of these definitions for territory we use:

But it’s not important to me :slight_smile:

Is that even possible? Each stone features two team colors.

1 Like

I think it works !

It’s a bit like 3-colour go in some sense, which is an interesting variant in itself, but with more possible combinations and interactions. ^^

I just meant that the possible interactions would be possibly more intertwined/interlocking than a bigger fractional game ^^

2 Likes

Oh right :sweat_smile:
First one it is then.

2 Likes